Linear Transformations: im(S+T) subset of im(S) + im(T)

In summary, the problem involves proving two statements about linear transformations on a vector space. The first statement is that the image of the sum of two linear transformations is a subset of the sum of the images of each individual transformation. The second statement is that the rank of the product of two linear transformations is less than or equal to the minimum of the ranks of each individual transformation, and the nullity of the product is less than or equal to the sum of the nullities of each individual transformation.
csMajor9

Homework Statement

Let V be an n-dimensional vector space over R, and let S and T be linear transformations from V to V.

(i) Show that im(S+T) [tex]\subseteq[/tex] im(S) + im(T)
(ii) Show that r(ST) [tex]\leq[/tex] min(r(S),r(T)), and that n(ST) [tex]\leq[/tex] n(S) + n(T)

Homework Equations

none that i can think of

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty much stuck at the start and could really use and hints or guidance to get me on the right track

Physics news on Phys.org
i'd start with the definetion of the image as the column space of a matrix

Related to Linear Transformations: im(S+T) subset of im(S) + im(T)

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a function that maps one vector space to another in a way that preserves its structure. In simpler terms, it is a mathematical operation that takes in a vector and outputs another vector, while following certain rules.

2. What does "im(S+T)" mean in the context of linear transformations?

"im(S+T)" refers to the image or range of the linear transformation that results from adding two linear transformations, S and T, together. It represents all possible outputs that can be obtained by applying the combined transformation to the input vectors.

3. How is im(S+T) related to im(S) and im(T)?

It is possible for im(S+T) to be a subset of im(S) + im(T), meaning that all outputs of the combined transformation can be obtained by separately applying the individual transformations of S and T and then adding their respective outputs together. However, in some cases, im(S+T) may be equal to im(S) + im(T).

4. Can im(S+T) be larger than im(S) + im(T)?

No, it is not possible for im(S+T) to be larger than im(S) + im(T). This is because im(S+T) must be a subset of im(S) + im(T), meaning that it can only contain outputs that are possible from applying both S and T separately.

5. How can linear transformations be applied in real-world situations?

Linear transformations have many practical applications, such as in computer graphics, signal processing, and data analysis. For example, they can be used to rotate and scale images, filter out noise from signals, and reduce the dimensionality of data sets for easier analysis.