Linear Transformations: Explaining the Theorem

In summary, the post explains that a linear transformation can be represented by a matrix, where the columns are the result of applying the transformation to the basis vectors. This representation is unique in the standard bases of R^n and R^m, but can vary with different bases for the vector spaces involved.
finkeljo
I don't quite understand the idea that (as my book says) every linear transformation with domain Rn and codomain Rm is a matrix transofrmation... I mean i get the idea of what a linear transformation is (sorta like a function) but it gives the theorem:

Let T: Rn -> Rm be linear. Then there is a unique m x n matrix

A=[T(e1)T(e2)...T(en)]

Can some one just explain that a little bit? It may seem simple but I don't think my book does a good job providing enough background for the theorems they state.

Physics news on Phys.org
finkeljo said:
Can some one just explain that a little bit?
See this post. Ask if there's something you don't understand.

Note that
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}a_{11} & a_{12} & ... & a_{1n} \\ a_{21} & a_{23} & ... & a_{2n} \\ ... & ... & ... & ... \\ a_{m1}& a_{m2} & ... & a_{mn}\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \\ ... \\ 0\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}a_{11} \\ a_{21} \\ ... \\a_{m1}\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

What do you get if you multiply that same matrix by
[tex]\begin{bmatrix} 0 & 1 & ... & 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
etc.?

Do you see that applying any linear transformation to the basis vectors in\(\displaystyle R^n\(\displaystyle gives you the columns of the matrix representation?

(This is, by the way, "unique" only in the standard bases for [itex]R^n[/itex] and [itex]R^m[/itex]. If L is a linear transformation from vector space U to vector space V, you can get different matrix representations for every different choice of basis for U or V.)\)\)

Related to Linear Transformations: Explaining the Theorem

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another while preserving the basic structure and properties of the original space. It is represented by a matrix multiplication and follows the properties of linearity, such as preserving scalar multiplication and vector addition.

2. What is the significance of the Linear Transformations theorem?

The Linear Transformations theorem, also known as the Fundamental Theorem of Linear Algebra, states that every linear transformation from one finite-dimensional vector space to another can be represented by a matrix multiplication. This theorem is crucial in understanding and solving problems related to linear transformations.

3. How do you prove the Linear Transformations theorem?

The Linear Transformations theorem can be proved by showing that every linear transformation can be represented by a matrix multiplication and that every matrix multiplication represents a linear transformation. This can be done using properties of linearity and basis vectors.

4. What are some real-world applications of linear transformations?

Linear transformations have several real-world applications, such as in computer graphics, image processing, and data analysis. They are also used in engineering and physics to model and solve problems related to motion, forces, and systems of equations.

5. Are there any limitations to linear transformations?

Linear transformations have some limitations, such as only being applicable to vector spaces and being unable to represent nonlinear functions. Additionally, the dimension of the input and output vector spaces must be the same for a linear transformation to be possible.