Linear transformations (algebra)

In summary, F:R3->R5 by F(u) = u if u is in V, 0 otherwise. We can prove that F is not a linear transformation by using a counterexample. Additionally, for a one-dimensional line y=3x, an orthonormal basis would be {1/(10^0.5)*[1, 3]}.
Idyllic

Homework Statement

Let V be a subset of R2 and some fixed 1-dimensional subspace of R2.

F:R2->R2 by F(v) = v if v is in V, 0 otherwise

Prove that F is not a linear transformation.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Just wondering if i got it right, i don't want to learn anything the wrong way and I am hoping to learn lots while doing my assignment so i'd like to get it checked asap.

http://www.nm3210.com/upload2/files/7/maths.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's the idea. You could have been a little more general in the proof, for instance:

Let [tex]a \in V[/tex] and [tex]b \notin V[/tex]... blah blah.

The fact that u is one-dimensional is a necessary but not sufficient condition for u in V. There are many one-dimension subsets of R!

blkqi said:
That's the idea. You could have been a little more general in the proof, for instance:

Let [tex]a \in V[/tex] and [tex]b \notin V[/tex]... blah blah.

The fact that u is one-dimensional is a necessary but not sufficient condition for u in V. There are many one-dimension subsets of R!

I think it should be ok, to disprove something you just need to show that it is false by example, so i just chose a convienient u vector.

I have another question:

Let F: R3 -> R5 be a L.T. Let {u1, u2, u3} be a lin. indep. set of vectors in R3.

If u1 + u2 is in ker(F) and F(u1) = v =/ 0. What is F(u2)?

I did F(u1 + u2) = 0
F(u1) + F(u2) = 0
v + F(u2) = 0
F(u2) = -v

And if u1 + u2 + u3 is in ker(F). what is F(u3)?

I got u3 = 0

Is this ok? Thanks for your reply.Also, what would an orthonormal basis look like for the line y = 3x?
Would it be {[1, 0], [0, 3]} or {1/(10^0.5)*[1, 3]}?

Last edited:
Counter example is fine if you are going for proof by contradiction. Remember the statement you want to demonstrate is that

"F is not a linear transformation."

In proof by contradiction you can assume that F is a linear transformation, and use a counterexample to draw the contradiction (just like you did). Though it's widely used proof by contradiction is not as strong as a direct proof. In fact it is usually just a contrapositive proof in disguise.

The direct proof would derive "F is not a linear transformation" from the definition of F directly, for arbitrary V. But I'm being picky, what you did is fine! One of my old math instructors hated proof by contradiction and its stuck with me.The other stuff you did looks good. The line y=3x is just one dimensional so its basis should be just one vector. Find something on the line, like [1,3] and normalize it by dividing by its magnitude sqrt(1^2+3^2)=sqrt(10), just like you did! That way your basis is a minimal generating set for the space given by y=3x. Notice that your first basis spans more than just y=3x!

Related to Linear transformations (algebra)

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another. It preserves the properties of addition and scalar multiplication, meaning that the transformation of a sum of vectors is equal to the sum of their individual transformations, and the transformation of a scalar multiple of a vector is equal to the scalar multiple of its transformation.

2. How are linear transformations represented?

Linear transformations are typically represented using matrices. The transformation is applied to a vector by multiplying it by the transformation matrix. The resulting vector is the transformed version of the original vector.

3. What is the difference between a linear transformation and a non-linear transformation?

A linear transformation follows the rules of linearity, meaning that the transformation of a sum of vectors is equal to the sum of their individual transformations, and the transformation of a scalar multiple of a vector is equal to the scalar multiple of its transformation. A non-linear transformation does not follow these rules, and the transformed version of a sum of vectors or a scalar multiple of a vector may be different from the sum or scalar multiple of their individual transformations.

4. How are linear transformations used in real life?

Linear transformations are used in many different fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and computer graphics. They are used to model and analyze various systems and processes, such as motion and heat transfer, financial markets, and image manipulation.

5. What is the inverse of a linear transformation?

The inverse of a linear transformation is another linear transformation that "undoes" the original transformation. It maps the transformed vector back to the original vector. In terms of matrices, the inverse of a transformation matrix is the matrix that, when multiplied by the original matrix, results in the identity matrix.