Linear Transformation with No Eigenvector

In summary: HallsofIvy's comments refer to linear transformations on finite-dimensional vector spaces. The integral operator in this thread acts on a space of functions that is infinite-dimensional, and the theory is quite different in that situation. A continuous linear operator on a normed vector space has associated with it a set of complex numbers called its spectrum. If the space is finite-dimensional then the spectrum consists exactly of the eigenvalues. In the infinite-dimensional case, the spectrum is always a nonempty set, but it does not necessarily consist of eigenvalues. For the Volterra integral operator, the spectrum consists of the single point $\{0\}$ (which is not an eigenvalue).
Sudharaka
Gold Member
MHB
Hi everyone, :)

This is one of those questions I encountered when trying to do a problem. I know that a eigenvector of a linear transformation should be non-zero by definition. So does that mean every linear transformation has eigenvectors? What if there's some linear transformation where no eigenvectors exist. Here's a question which I came across which motivated me to think about this.

Find eigenvectors and eigenvalues of the following linear transformation.

\[T:\,f(x)\rightarrow\int_{0}^{x}f(t)\,dt\] in the linear span over \(\Re\).

So we have to find functions such that,

\[T(f(x))=\lambda\,f(x)\]

\[\Rightarrow \int_{0}^{x}f(t)\,dt=\lambda \,f(x)\]

Now differentiating both sides we get,

\[f(x)=\lambda\,f'(x)\]

Solving for \(f\) we finally obtain,

\[f(x)=Ae^{x/\lambda}\]

where \(A\) is a constant. To find the value of \(A\) we plug this to our original equation. And then something out of the ordinary happens... :p

\[\int_{0}^{x}Ae^{t/\lambda}\,dx=\lambda\,Ae^{x/\lambda}\]

\[\Rightarrow A=0\]

So we get, \(f(x)=0\) which is not a eigenvector. And hence I came to the conclusion that this linear transformation doesn't have any eigenvectors. Am I correct? :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Sudharaka said:

\[\Rightarrow A=0\]

Why does $\lambda \, A e^{x/ \lambda}=\lambda \, A e^{x/ \lambda}$ require $A=0$?

Ackbach said:
Why does $\lambda \, A e^{x/ \lambda}=\lambda \, A e^{x/ \lambda}$ require $A=0$?

Thanks for the reply. Well if I am not wrong here, I think you have calculated the integration incorrectly. :)

\[\Rightarrow \lambda \, A e^{x/ \lambda}-\lambda\,A=\lambda\,Ae^{x/\lambda}\]

\[\therefore A=0\]

Sudharaka said:
Thanks for the reply. Well if I am not wrong here, I think you have calculated the integration incorrectly. :)

\[\Rightarrow \lambda \, A e^{x/ \lambda}-\lambda\,A=\lambda\,Ae^{x/\lambda}\]

\[\therefore A=0\]

Oh, you're right. I think I misinterpreted your equation as saying that's what the integral was; I didn't bother to "check" it.

Yeah, if the exponential function doesn't work, nothing will. Thinking of it in terms of series expansions, the integration operator will always raise the power by one. So it seems unlikely that the resulting series would be a multiple of the original.

Sudharaka said:
I came to the conclusion that this linear transformation doesn't have any eigenvectors. Am I correct? :)
Yes, you are correct. See here.

Opalg said:
Yes, you are correct. See here.

Thanks so much. :) I didn't know that the linear transformation is called the Volterra operator and was confused by the fact that it didn't have any eigenvalues. I have never encountered such a thing before. Thanks again for your valuable input. :)

If V is a vector space over the complex numbers then any linear transformation has eigenvalues and so non-zero eigenvectors. If V is a vector space of the real numbers it may not have eigenvalues (solutions to the characteristic equation are all complex) and so no eigenvectors.

Yes, the standard definition of "eigenvector" in most texts require that it be non-zero. I personally don't like that and prefer, as you will see in some texts:
"[tex]\lambda[/tex] is an eigenvalue for linear transformation A if and only if there exist a non-zero vector, v, such that [tex]Av= \lambda v[/tex]."

"An eigenvector, corresponding to eigenvalue [tex]\lambda[/tex] is any vector, v, such that [tex]Av= \lambda v[/tex]"

That allows the 0 vector as an eigenvector (for any eigenvalue) so that we can say "The set of all eigenvectors corresponding to eigenvalue [tex]\lambda[/tex] form a vector space" rather than having to say "The set of all eigenvectors corresponding to eigenvalue [tex]\lambda[/tex], together with the 0 vector, form a vector space"

A very minor detail either way!

HallsofIvy said:
If V is a vector space over the complex numbers then any linear transformation has eigenvalues and so non-zero eigenvectors. If V is a vector space of the real numbers it may not have eigenvalues (solutions to the characteristic equation are all complex) and so no eigenvectors.

I can't find any complex eigenvalues for this particular problem...

I like Serena said:
HallsofIvy said:

I can't find any complex eigenvalues for this particular problem...
HallsofIvy's comments refer to linear transformations on finite-dimensional vector spaces. The integral operator in this thread acts on a space of functions that is infinite-dimensional, and the theory is quite different in that situation. A continuous linear operator on a normed vector space has associated with it a set of complex numbers called its spectrum. If the space is finite-dimensional then the spectrum consists exactly of the eigenvalues. In the infinite-dimensional case, the spectrum is always a nonempty set, but it does not necessarily consist of eigenvalues. For the Volterra integral operator, the spectrum consists of the single point $\{0\}$ (which is not an eigenvalue).

Yes, thank you. My mind tends to go foggy when I think about infinite dimensional vector spaces so I just ignore them!

1. What is a linear transformation with no eigenvector?

A linear transformation with no eigenvector is a mathematical operation that maps vectors from one vector space to another, but does not have any eigenvectors. This means that there is no vector in the input space that remains in the same direction after being transformed.

2. Why is a linear transformation with no eigenvector important?

A linear transformation with no eigenvector is important because it allows for more complex and diverse transformations of vector spaces. It also has applications in various fields such as computer graphics, physics, and economics.

3. How can you determine if a linear transformation has no eigenvector?

To determine if a linear transformation has no eigenvector, we can use the determinant of the transformation matrix. If the determinant is equal to zero, then the transformation does not have any eigenvectors. Another way is to calculate the characteristic polynomial and check if it has any real solutions.

4. Can a linear transformation with no eigenvector have a determinant of zero?

Yes, a linear transformation with no eigenvector can have a determinant of zero. This is because the determinant is zero if and only if the transformation does not have any eigenvectors.

5. Is it possible for a linear transformation with no eigenvector to have real eigenvalues?

No, a linear transformation with no eigenvector cannot have real eigenvalues. This is because eigenvalues are the solutions to the characteristic polynomial, and if the transformation has no eigenvectors, then the characteristic polynomial has no real solutions.