Linear system of differential equations with repeated eigenvalues

In summary, the matrix A is in canonical form with eigenvalues of -1 and ±i. The eigenvectors do not need to be computed and the solution to X'=AX is Y(t). To find the eigenvectors, the eigenvalues can be plugged into the matrix X' and solved for. X' is also diagonalizable.
richyw

Homework Statement

[tex]X'=AX[/tex][tex]A=\left[\begin{matrix} 0 & 1 & 0 \\ -1 & 0 &0 \\0 & 0 & -1\end{matrix}\right][/tex]

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

The eigenvalues are -1, and [itex]\pm i[/itex]. I also can see that the matrix A is already in the form
[tex]A=\left[\begin{matrix} \alpha & \beta & 0 \\ -\beta & \alpha &0 \\0 & 0 & \lambda\end{matrix}\right][/tex] where [itex]\lambda_1=\lambda,\:\lambda_{2,3}=\alpha\pm i\beta[/itex] So I don't see the point really in computing the eigenvectors because this is already in canonical form isn't it? so I don't need to find T that would change the original matrix into its canonical form. So I think that the solution to X'=AX would just be Y(t). I have NO IDEA how to find Y(t) though. My book doesn't show the steps.

Physics news on Phys.org
Also, I'm supposed to find the eigenvectors of X' and show that X' is diagonalizable. Would this just involve plugging in the eigenvalues to the matrix X' and solving for the eigenvectors?Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Related to Linear system of differential equations with repeated eigenvalues

1. What is a linear system of differential equations with repeated eigenvalues?

A linear system of differential equations with repeated eigenvalues is a system of differential equations where the eigenvalues of the coefficient matrix are repeated. This means that there are multiple solutions to the characteristic equation, leading to repeated eigenvalues.

2. How is a linear system of differential equations with repeated eigenvalues solved?

To solve a linear system of differential equations with repeated eigenvalues, you must first find the generalized eigenvectors corresponding to the repeated eigenvalues. Then, you can use these eigenvectors to form a matrix that will allow you to find the general solution to the system.

3. What are the applications of linear systems of differential equations with repeated eigenvalues?

Linear systems of differential equations with repeated eigenvalues have applications in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to model systems that exhibit oscillatory behavior, such as in mechanics or electrical circuits.

4. Can a linear system of differential equations with repeated eigenvalues have complex eigenvalues?

Yes, a linear system of differential equations with repeated eigenvalues can have complex eigenvalues. This often occurs in systems with oscillatory behavior, where the eigenvalues are imaginary numbers.

5. How does the number of repeated eigenvalues affect the behavior of a linear system of differential equations?

The number of repeated eigenvalues can affect the behavior of a linear system of differential equations. For example, if there are only two repeated eigenvalues, the system may exhibit oscillatory behavior. However, if there are more than two repeated eigenvalues, the behavior may become more complex and difficult to predict.