Linear Quadratic Regulator

Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses building a QLR controller for a pantograph simulation in Simulink and the need for a state space model of the system. The state space model is a mathematical representation of the system's dynamics in terms of state, input, and output variables. The state space model can be obtained by manipulating the equation of motion into the standard form, with the matrices A and B representing the system dynamics. Resources and tools in Simulink can aid in this process.
zoom1
I have pantograph simulation on simulink. The dynamic model of the system is given as a C code. So the input is torque and output is motor angles and velocities.

I need to build a QLR controller and to do so I need to come up with state space model of the system, right ?

I have the following equation of motion;

M(q)q'' = H(q,u) + Bf(q)Fext + Torque

where M and Bf are 2x2 matrices and H is 2x1

My states would be q1,q2,q1',q2' where q1' and q2' are the joint velocities.

But I don't know how can I obtain the state space model when my equation of motion consists of matrices

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
and vectorsHello,

Thank you for sharing your question on the forum. It seems like you are trying to build a QLR controller for a pantograph simulation in Simulink. To answer your question, yes, you will need to come up with a state space model of the system in order to build the controller.

The state space model is a mathematical representation of a system in terms of its state variables, input variables, and output variables. In your case, the state variables would be q1, q2, q1', and q2', as you have correctly identified. The input variable would be the torque, and the output variables would be the motor angles and velocities.

To obtain the state space model, you will need to manipulate your equation of motion into the standard state space form:

x' = Ax + Bu
y = Cx + Du

Where x is the state vector, u is the input vector, and y is the output vector. A, B, C, and D are matrices that represent the dynamics of the system.

In your equation of motion, you have M(q)q'' on the left side, which is equivalent to the state vector x'. On the right side, you have H(q,u), which can be expressed as Ax + Bu. The matrices A and B are dependent on the system dynamics and can be obtained from the equation of motion.

Similarly, the output equation y = Cx + Du can be obtained by expressing the output variables (motor angles and velocities) as a function of the state variables (q1, q2, q1', q2').

I would recommend looking into some resources on state space modeling to get a better understanding of the process. Simulink also has built-in tools to help you convert your equations into a state space model.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your project!

Related to Linear Quadratic Regulator

What is a Linear Quadratic Regulator?

A Linear Quadratic Regulator (LQR) is a control system technique used to design controllers for linear systems. It uses a quadratic cost function to minimize the difference between the desired output and the actual output of a system.

What is the difference between an LQR and a PID controller?

The main difference between an LQR and a PID controller is that an LQR is designed for linear systems while a PID controller can be used for both linear and nonlinear systems. Additionally, an LQR uses a cost function to optimize its performance while a PID controller relies on proportional, integral, and derivative terms to adjust the control signal.

What are the advantages of using an LQR?

Some advantages of using an LQR include its ability to handle multiple inputs and outputs, its simplicity in design, and its robustness to system changes and disturbances. Additionally, LQR controllers can be easily implemented in real-time systems.

What are the limitations of an LQR?

One limitation of an LQR is that it assumes a linear system, so it may not perform well on highly nonlinear systems. It also requires a good mathematical model of the system, which may not always be available. Additionally, the performance of an LQR is highly dependent on the choice of cost function and controller gains.

How is an LQR controller designed?

An LQR controller is designed by first defining a cost function that measures the performance of the system. The controller gains are then calculated by solving a set of algebraic equations called the Riccati equations. These gains are used to compute the control signal that minimizes the cost function and drives the system towards the desired output.