Linear Momentum of A System of Particles

In summary, the conversation discusses the momentum of a ball that is launched at ground level and travels over level ground. The graph provided shows the magnitude of the ball's momentum versus time, with a value of 7.0 kg·m/s at the highest point. The initial angle above the horizontal at which the ball is launched is being questioned, and the lowest possible value of the momentum at 2.25 seconds is also being discussed. The conversation ends with speculation about the angle of projection at which the momentum is zero at some point during the trajectory.
STEF2098
At time t = 0, a ball is struck at ground level and sent over level ground. The figure below gives the magnitude p of the ball's momentum versus time t during the flight. (p1 = 7.0 kg·m/s and the vertical axis is marked in increments of 0.5 kg·m/s.) At what initial angle above the horizontal is the ball launched?

http://www.webassign.net/hrw/W0170-Nalt.jpg

I feel like this question is relatively easy, I'm just really stuck for some reason! At the highest point, I know the vertical component of momentum is 0, making the horizontal component 7. I don't know how to find the initial momentum though; I know we can probably find it using the graph (see link), and I found it to be 9.0 kg m/s, and, after I did the math, the computer told me my answer was wrong. Is there something I'm overlooking??

Physics news on Phys.org
If the graph shows the magnitude of the momentum, what is the lowest possible value of this magnitude at about 2.25 s as read from the graph?

It's 7 right? So, would that make the initial magnitude 5?

Are we talking about the same graph? The one you posted has no numbers along the momentum axis and the value at t=2.25 s is smaller than the value at t=0.

Well, it's in increments of 0.5, so I just assumed the momentum axis went from 0-2.

Do you know for a fact that the increments are 0.5? Why not 1 or 2? Your graph does not show. Be that as it may, I think it is a fair assumption that at 2.25 s the momentum is zero. What do you think that says about the angle of projection? In other words, for what angle of projection is the momentum zero at some point of the trajectory?

Related to Linear Momentum of A System of Particles

1. What is linear momentum?

Linear momentum, also known as momentum, is a physical quantity that measures the motion of an object. It is defined as the product of an object's mass and its velocity.

2. How is the linear momentum of a system of particles calculated?

The linear momentum of a system of particles is calculated by adding up the individual momenta of each particle in the system. This can be represented by the equation p = mv, where p is the linear momentum, m is the mass, and v is the velocity.

3. What is the principle of conservation of linear momentum?

The principle of conservation of linear momentum states that in a closed system, the total linear momentum remains constant. This means that the total momentum before an event is equal to the total momentum after the event, regardless of any internal forces or interactions that may occur.

4. How is linear momentum related to Newton's laws of motion?

Linear momentum is related to Newton's laws of motion through the second law, which states that the force acting on an object is equal to the rate of change of its momentum. This can be represented by the equation F = ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

5. What are some real-life applications of linear momentum?

Linear momentum has many real-life applications, including rocket propulsion, car crashes, and sports such as football and golf. It is also used in particle accelerators and collision experiments to study the behavior of subatomic particles.