Linear Expansion Homework: 40 & 40.1cm Markings Coincide

In summary: Thanks a lot for your help.In summary, the problem is asking to find the first millimeter mark on the "hot" ruler that matches one on the "cold" ruler. By setting up an equation and using the fact that 1 millimeter on the cold ruler is equivalent to 1.0025 millimeters on the hot ruler, we can derive that the first matching mark is at 400 millimeters on the cold ruler and 401 millimeters on the hot ruler. This equation essentially counts how many 0.0025 increments are necessary to add up to 1 millimeter.
leena19

Homework Statement

Two metre rulers made of metal of linear expansivity 25*10-6/degrees C are calibrated at 0 deg celsius.
One end of each of the metre rulers is fixed to a vertical wall and held side by side horizontally.
One of the meter rulers is maintained at 0 deg.C and the other at 100 deg C,which two scale markings coincide with each other ?

(ans: 40 & 40.1cm)

Homework Equations

l = l0 (1+ alpha*theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

For the metre ruler kept at 100deg.C ,
l = l0 (1+ alpha*theta)
l = 1 (1 + 25*10-6 *100)
l = 1.0025 mm

So when the meter ruler at 100 deg C reads 1mm,the actual reading is 1.0025mm.
I'm not sure if what I've found is relevant to this question,even if it is I don't know how to proceed from here.

Hope someone can help.
Thanx.

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is asking you to find the first mm marking on the "hot" ruler that matches one on the "cold" ruler.

As you say, 1 mm on cold is 1.0000 + 0.0025 mm on hot. Then
2 mm on cold is 2.0000 + 2*0.0025 on hot
3 mm on cold is 3.0000 + 3*0.0025 on hot

Do you see what's going on?

kuruman said:
The problem is asking you to find the first mm marking on the "hot" ruler that matches one on the "cold" ruler.

As you say, 1 mm on cold is 1.0000 + 0.0025 mm on hot. Then
2 mm on cold is 2.0000 + 2*0.0025 on hot
3 mm on cold is 3.0000 + 3*0.0025 on hot

Do you see what's going on?
Umm... I think I do.
But is there maybe a shorter method of finding it without having to calculate it that way for 100cm?
I tried deriving a equation,but still no luck.

Thx.

OK. Let's start over again. I was hoping you would see the pattern. Here we go

1 mm on cold is 1.0000 + 1*0.0025 on hot. Is there a match? No.
2 mm on cold is 2.0000 + 2*0.0025 on hot. Is there a match? No.
3 mm on cold is 3.0000 + 3*0.0025 on hot. Is there a match? No.
x mm on cold is x + x*0.0025 on hot.

If x represents the mm mark on cold that first matches another mm mark on hot, what must x*0.0025 be in mm?

OK.I think I found one.
Working back from the answer..
l = l0 (1+ alpha*theta)
1*n = (n-1) (1 + alpha*theta)
n = (n-1) (1.0025)
therefore n=401mm and n-1=400mm

Does this make sense?
or is there another way of doing it?

I do not advocate working back from a known answer. This is what I would say to complete my previous post

Let x = the first mm mark on cold that first matches another mm mark on hot (x is a dimensionless number)

Then x*0.0025 mm = 1 mm

x = 1 mm/(0.0025 mm) = 400

Therefore the 400 mm mark on cold matches the 401 mm mark on hot. The equation basically counts how many 0.0025 increments are necessary to add up to 1 mm. :wink:

Last edited:
kuruman said:
I do not advocate working back from a known answer. This is what I would say to compete my previous post

Let x = the first mm mark on cold that first matches another mm mark on hot (x is a dimensionless number)

Then x*0.0025 mm = 1 mm

x = 1 mm/(0.0025 mm) = 400

Therefore the 400 mm mark on cold matches the 401 mm mark on hot. The equation basically counts how many 0.0025 increments are necessary to add up to 1 mm. :wink:

Oh I see now.
Thank you very much.
and I'm sorry I didn't see your previous post when i made my reply in post#5.

Related to Linear Expansion Homework: 40 & 40.1cm Markings Coincide

1. What is linear expansion?

Linear expansion is the increase in length of an object when it is heated. This is due to the increase in kinetic energy of the particles in the object, causing them to vibrate and take up more space.

2. How is linear expansion measured?

Linear expansion is typically measured using a ruler or caliper to determine the change in length of an object before and after being heated. The change in length is then divided by the original length to calculate the linear expansion coefficient.

3. What is the significance of the 40 & 40.1cm markings coinciding in this homework?

The 40cm and 40.1cm markings coinciding indicates that the object being measured has expanded by 0.1cm when heated, resulting in a linear expansion coefficient of 0.00025 (0.1cm/40cm).

4. How does temperature affect linear expansion?

As temperature increases, so does the linear expansion of an object. This is because the particles in the object are moving faster and taking up more space, resulting in an increase in length.

5. What are some practical applications of linear expansion?

Linear expansion is important in many industries, such as construction, engineering, and manufacturing. It is used to design and build structures that can withstand changes in temperature, as well as to create precise measurements for tools and equipment.