Linear expansion distance problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the actual distance between two lamp posts on a road, given the measured distance at a specific temperature and the coefficient of linear expansion of the measuring tape. The formula for calculating the original length of the tape is derived and used to determine the actual distance between the lamp posts, resulting in a final answer of 30.018m. The conversation also mentions the potential effect of temperature changes on the tape's measurements.
jsalapide
On a hot day where the temperature is 32 degrees celsius, the distance between two lamp posts on the road is 30m as measured by a metal tape whose coefficient of linear expansion is hypothetically 50 x 10^-6 /degree Celsius. If the tape gives its correct reading at 20 degrees celcius, what is the actual distance between the lamp posts?

Physics news on Phys.org
How would you think to go about solving the problem?

Any equations come to mind?

i derived the formula alpha = change in L / (original length x change in temperature)
i came up with a formula original length = final length / (alpha x change in temperature + 1)
alpha is the coefficient of linear expansion..
I set the original length as the original length of the tape and not the actual distance between the 2 posts..
I got 29.98m
i subtracted it to 30m and i got 0.018m..
i added it to 30m to get the actual distance of the 2 posts..

My answer is 30.018m..

Is that right?

jsalapide said:
i derived the formula alpha = change in L / (original length x change in temperature)
i came up with a formula original length = final length / (alpha x change in temperature + 1)
alpha is the coefficient of linear expansion..
I set the original length as the original length of the tape and not the actual distance between the 2 posts..
I got 29.98m
i subtracted it to 30m and i got 0.018m..
i added it to 30m to get the actual distance of the 2 posts..

My answer is 30.018m..

Is that right?

Looks right. If the tape was cooled by 12 degrees it would contract by .018 m. Hence it will read higher than the measure at the warmer temperature by that amount.

Related to Linear expansion distance problem

What is linear expansion distance problem?

The linear expansion distance problem is a physics concept that refers to the change in length of an object when it is heated or cooled. This change in length is known as thermal expansion and is caused by the movement of molecules within the object.

What factors affect linear expansion distance?

The linear expansion distance is affected by the material of the object, its initial length, and the change in temperature. Different materials have different coefficients of thermal expansion, which determines how much the object will expand or contract.

How do you calculate linear expansion distance?

The linear expansion distance can be calculated using the formula: ΔL = αLΔT, where ΔL is the change in length, α is the coefficient of thermal expansion, L is the initial length, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

What is the unit of measurement for linear expansion distance?

The unit of measurement for linear expansion distance is typically meters (m) or millimeters (mm), depending on the size of the object. The change in temperature is usually measured in degrees Celsius (°C) or Kelvin (K).

Can linear expansion distance be negative?

Yes, linear expansion distance can be negative if the object is being cooled. In this case, the molecules within the object are contracting, causing the object to decrease in length. This is known as thermal contraction and is represented by a negative value in the formula.