Linear equation strange problem

In summary, Adam has 55 one-dollar bills, 110 five-dollar bills, and 0 ten-dollar bills, for a total of 165 bills. This translates to a total value of $735 in savings.
Rectifier
Gold Member
The problem
Adam is saving 1, 5 and 10 dollar bills. Adam has 165 bills. The amount of one dollar bills is twice as high as 10-dollar bills. The total value of his savings is 735 dollars. How many 5-dollar bills does Adam have?

This problem was translated. Sorry for grammatical errors.

The attempt at a solution
x = one dollar bills
y = five dollar bills
z = ten dollar bills

The amount of bills is:
## x+y+z=165 ##
We also know that:
##2x = z## which means that the amount of bills can be rewritten as:
## x+y+2x=165 \\ y+3x=165##

The value of his savings is:
## 1 \cdot x + 5 \cdot y + 10 \cdot z = 735 ##

I insert ##2x = z## in the second equation and get following:
## 1 \cdot x + 5 \cdot y + 10 \cdot 2x = 735 \\ x + 5y + 20x = 735 \\ 5y + 21x = 735 \\ ##

I solve the linear equation of
## y+3x=165 \\ 5y + 21x = 735 ##

## 7y+21x=1155 \\ 5y + 21x = 735 ##

## 21x=1155-7y \\ 21x = 735-5y ##

## 735-5y=1155-7y \\ 2y=1155-735 \\ 2y= 420 \\ y = 210 ##
Which is clearly wrong. y (is 5 dollar bills) 5 * 210 = 1050 (but Adams value is 735)

I have tried some other methods but I can't seem to solve this problem. Please help :,(

Physics news on Phys.org
Rectifier said:
The problem
Adam is saving 1, 5 and 10 dollar bills. Adam has 165 bills. The amount of one dollar bills is twice as high as 10-dollar bills. The total value of his savings is 735 dollars. How many 5-dollar bills does Adam have?

This problem was translated. Sorry for grammatical errors.

The attempt at a solution
x = one dollar bills
y = five dollar bills
z = ten dollar bills
To be clearer, each of the above should say "the number of ..."
Rectifier said:
The amount of bills is:
## x+y+z=165 ##
We also know that:
##2x = z## which means that the amount of bills can be rewritten as:
No, this is wrong. What is stated is that the number of one-dollar bills is twice as large as the number of ten-dollar bills. This translates into an equation as x = 2z. You have 2x = z, which is wrong.
Rectifier said:
## x+y+2x=165 \\ y+3x=165##

The value of his savings is:
## 1 \cdot x + 5 \cdot y + 10 \cdot z = 735 ##

I insert ##2x = z## in the second equation and get following:
## 1 \cdot x + 5 \cdot y + 10 \cdot 2x = 735 \\ x + 5y + 20x = 735 \\ 5y + 21x = 735 \\ ##

I solve the linear equation of
## y+3x=165 \\ 5y + 21x = 735 ##

## 7y+21x=1155 \\ 5y + 21x = 735 ##

## 21x=1155-7y \\ 21x = 735-5y ##

## 735-5y=1155-7y \\ 2y=1155-735 \\ 2y= 420 \\ y = 210 ##
Which is clearly wrong. y (is 5 dollar bills) 5 * 210 = 1050 (but Adams value is 735)

I have tried some other methods but I can't seem to solve this problem. Please help :,(

Likes Rectifier
Oh! Thank you for finding the error! ;D

Related to Linear equation strange problem

What is a linear equation?

A linear equation is an algebraic expression that contains two variables, typically represented by x and y, and has a degree of one. It can be written in the form y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept.

What makes a linear equation a "strange" problem?

A linear equation can be considered "strange" if it has unusual or unexpected solutions, or if it is difficult to solve using traditional methods. It may also be considered strange if it involves unconventional variables or operations.

How do you solve a linear equation strange problem?

The first step in solving a linear equation strange problem is to identify the variables and constants, and then rearrange the equation into the standard form y = mx + b. From there, you can use algebraic methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing to solve for the unknown variable.

What are some real-life applications of linear equations?

Linear equations are used to model and solve a wide variety of real-life problems, such as calculating the cost of a phone bill based on usage, determining the optimal speed for a car to travel to a destination, and predicting the growth of a population over time.

What are some common mistakes when solving linear equation strange problems?

Some common mistakes when solving linear equation strange problems include forgetting to distribute or combine like terms, misinterpreting the slope or y-intercept, and making calculation errors. It is important to carefully check your work and use multiple methods to confirm the solution.