Linear Differential equation problem

In summary: You can rewrite the original equation as ##v = -y\cos x##. This equation is exact, and it has the following two solutions: $$\frac{d}{dx}v = -y\cos x = -\cos x$$ and $$\frac{d}{dx}v = y\cos x = y\sin x$$.
erisedk

Homework Statement

Solution of the differential equation
##(\cos x )dy = y (\sin x - y) dx , 0 < x < \dfrac{\pi}{2} ## is

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Only separation of variables, homogenous and linear DEs are in the syllabus, therefore it must be one of those. It obviously isn't the former two, so it must be a linear DE. I have no idea how to convert this into a linear form, especially because of the ##y^2## term. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
erisedk said:

Homework Statement

Solution of the differential equation
##(\cos x )dy = y (\sin x - y) dx , 0 < x < \dfrac{\pi}{2} ## is

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Only separation of variables, homogenous and linear DEs are in the syllabus, therefore it must be one of those. It obviously isn't the former two, so it must be a linear DE. I have no idea how to convert this into a linear form, especially because of the ##y^2## term. Please help.
It's not linear, due to the y2 term. It might be homogeneous, which is an ambiguous term that can mean two different kinds of diff. equations.

I'm not sure what the other homogenous is, I'm talking about the one in which we get y/x terms, and substitute that as V.
Okay, so how do I proceed? It probably involves substitutions, but I'm not sure what to substitute.

You can't express y' as a function of y/x, so the differential equation isn't homogeneous. You need a different approach.

You can rearrange the terms slightly to get ##(y\sin x)dx - \cos x\,dy = y^2\,dx##. Why would you want to do this? It's because the lefthand side is exact—that is, if ##v = -y\cos x##, you have
$$dv = \frac{\partial v}{\partial x}\,dx + \frac{\partial v}{\partial y}\,dy = (y\sin x)dx - \cos x\,dy.$$ So try out the substitution ##v = -y\cos x## and see what you get after you rewrite the original differential equation in terms of ##v## and ##x##.

Related to Linear Differential equation problem

What is a linear differential equation?

A linear differential equation is an equation that relates a function and its derivatives in a linear way. This means that the function and its derivatives appear with a power of 1, and there are no products or compositions of the function.

What is the general form of a linear differential equation?

The general form of a linear differential equation is y' + p(x)y = q(x), where y is the dependent variable, x is the independent variable, p(x) is the coefficient of y, and q(x) is the function of x.

How do you solve a linear differential equation?

To solve a linear differential equation, you need to follow these steps:
1. Rewrite the equation in the general form.
2. Find the integrating factor, which is e∫p(x)dx.
3. Multiply both sides of the equation by the integrating factor.
4. Integrate both sides of the equation.
5. Solve for y.

What is the order of a linear differential equation?

The order of a linear differential equation is the highest derivative that appears in the equation. For example, y' + 2y = x is a first-order linear differential equation, while y'' + 3y' + 5y = 0 is a second-order linear differential equation.

Why are linear differential equations important in science?

Linear differential equations are important in science because they are used to model many natural phenomena, such as population growth, radioactive decay, and electrical circuits. They also have analytical solutions, making them easier to solve and understand compared to non-linear differential equations.