Linear differential equation of first order in EXP(C)

In summary, the conversation discusses checking for a solution of a linear differential equation of first order in the ring of exponential sums. The general linear differential equation is presented and the solution is derived by taking different cases. The possibility of infinitely many solutions is also considered. The conversation concludes with a clarification on the assumption of the independence of the basis.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

I want to check if there is a solution of a linear differential equation of first order in the ring of exponential sums $\text{EXP}(\mathbb{C})$. I have done the following: The general linear differential equation of first order is $$ax'(z)+bx(z)=y(z) \tag{*}$$
where $x,y \in \text{EXP}(\mathbb{C})$.

We have that $$y(z)=\sum_{i=1}^N \alpha_i e^{\mu_i z}, \ \ x(z)=\sum_{i=1}^N \beta_i e^{k_i z} \ \ \text{ so } \ \ x'(z)=\sum_{i=1}^N \beta_i k_i e^{k_i z}$$

$$(*) \Rightarrow a\sum_{i=1}^N \beta_i k_i e^{k_i z}+b\sum_{i=1}^N \beta_i e^{k_i z}= \sum_{i=1}^N \alpha_i e^{\mu_i z} \Rightarrow \sum_{i=1}^N \left [a\beta_i k_i +b\beta_i \right ]e^{k_i z}=\sum_{i=1}^N \alpha_i e^{\mu_i z}$$ For $k_i=\mu_i$ we have the following:

$$\sum_{i=1}^N \left [\beta_i (a\mu_i +b) \right ]e^{\mu_i z}=\sum_{i=1}^N \alpha_i e^{\mu_i z} \Rightarrow \sum_{i=1}^N \left [(a \mu_i +b)\beta_i -\alpha_i\right ]e^{\mu_i z}=0$$ 1. If for at least one $i$ with $\alpha_i\ne0$ we have $a\mu_i+b=0$, there is no solution.

2. If for at least one $i$ with $\alpha_i = 0$ we have $a\mu_i+b \neq 0$, we have that $\beta_i=0$.

3. If for all $i$ it holds that $\alpha_i = 0 \land a\mu_i+b = 0$, then thee are infinitely many solutions.

4. If for all $i$ it holds that $\alpha_i\ne0 \land a\mu_i+b\ne0$, then there is exactly one solution, with $\beta_i=\frac{\alpha_i}{a\mu_i+b}$.
Is everything correct? Have I forgotten a case? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
I did it also as follows by taking cases:
  • $\textbf{Case 1.}$
    $a=0, b \neq 0$

Then we have $bx(z)=y(z)$.
    So, the solution is $$x(z)=\frac{1}{b}y(z) \in \text{EXP}(\mathbb{C})$$
  • $\textbf{Case 2.}$
    $a\neq 0, b=0$

Then we have $ax'(z)=y(z)$.

We have that $\displaystyle{x'(z)=\frac{1}{a}y(z)}$, where $\displaystyle{y(z)=\sum_{i=1}^N \alpha_i e^{\mu_i z}}$, so $\displaystyle{x'(z)=\frac{1}{a}\sum_{i=1}^N \alpha_i e^{\mu_i z}}$.
    • If $\exists j$ such that $\mu_j =0 \land \alpha_j \neq 0$ then $\displaystyle{x'(z)=\frac{1}{a}\sum_{i=1}^{j-1} \alpha_i e^{\mu_i z}+\frac{\alpha_j}{a}+\frac{1}{a}\sum_{i=j+1}^N \alpha_i e^{\mu_i z}}$ then $\displaystyle{x(z)=\frac{1}{a}\sum_{i=1}^{j-1} \frac{\alpha_i}{\mu_i} e^{\mu_i z}+\frac{\alpha_j}{a}z+\frac{1}{a}\sum_{i=j+1}^N \frac{\alpha_i}{\mu_i} e^{\mu_i z}} \notin \textbf{EXP}{(\mathbb{C})}$. So, there is no solution.
    • If $\mu_i \neq 0$ for $i$ for which $\alpha_i \neq 0$ then the solution is $\displaystyle{x(z)=\frac{1}{a}\sum_{i=1}^N \frac{\alpha_i}{\mu_i} e^{\mu_i z}}\in \text{EXP}(\mathbb{C})$.
  • $\textbf{Case 3.}$
    $a=0, b=0$

Then we have $0=y(z)$.
    • If $y(z)=0$ then we have infinitely many solutions.
    • If $y(z) \neq 0$ then we have no solution.
  • $\textbf{Case 4.}$
    $a \neq 0, b \neq 0$

Then we have $$ax'(z)+bx(z)=y(z) \Rightarrow x'(z)+\frac{b}{a} x(z)=\frac{1}{a}y(z) \ \ \ \ \ (*)$$

We have that $$y(z)=\sum_{i=0}^N \alpha_i e^{\mu_i z}, x(z)=\sum_{i=0}^N \beta_i e^{k_i z}=\beta_0 +\sum_{i=1}^N \beta_i e^{k_i z}, also x'(z)=\sum_{i=1}^N \beta_i k_i e^{k_i z} $$

$$(*) \Rightarrow \sum_{i=1}^N \beta_i k_i e^{k_i z}+\frac{b}{a} \left [\beta_0 +\sum_{i=1}^N \beta_i e^{k_i z}\right ]=\frac{1}{a} \left [\sum_{i=0}^N \alpha_i e^{\mu_i z}\right ] \\
    \Rightarrow \frac{b}{a}\beta_0 +\sum_{i=1}^N \left [\beta_i k_i +\frac{b}{a}\beta_i \right ]e^{k_i z}=\frac{1}{a}\alpha_0+\sum_{i=1}^N \alpha_i e^{\mu_i z} $$

So, the following must hold:

$$\left\{\begin{matrix}
    \frac{b}{a}\beta_0=\frac{1}{a}\alpha_0\\
    \beta_i k_i+\frac{b}{a}\beta_i=\alpha_i, \ \ i=1, \dots , N\\
    k_i=\mu_i, \ \ i=1, \dots , N
    \end{matrix}\right. \Rightarrow \left\{\begin{matrix}
    \beta_0=\frac{\alpha_0}{b}\\
    \beta_i \mu_i+\frac{b}{a}\beta_i=\alpha_i, \ \ i=1, \dots , N\\
    \end{matrix}\right. \Rightarrow \left\{\begin{matrix}
    \beta_0=\frac{\alpha_0}{b}\\
    \beta_i \left (\mu_i+\frac{b}{a}\right )=\alpha_i, \ \ i=1, \dots , N\\
    \end{matrix}\right. $$
    • If $\displaystyle{\mu_i \neq -\frac{b}{a}}$, then the solution is $\displaystyle{x(z)=\frac{\alpha_0}{b}+\sum_{i=1}^N \frac{\alpha_i}{\mu_i+\frac{b}{a}}e^{\mu_i z}}$.
    • If $\displaystyle{\mu_i=-\frac{b}{a}}$ then if $\alpha_i=0$ then there are infinitely many solutions, but if $\alpha_i \neq 0$ then there is no solution.
Is this correct? Have I taken into consideration all the possible cases? (Wondering)

Hey mathmari! (Wave)

It seems you assume that $\{ e^{\mu_i z} \}$ forms an independent basis as long as the $\mu_i$ are distinct.
However, that is not the case.
For instance $1\cdot e^{i\pi/2 z} = -1 \cdot e^{-i\pi/2 z}$.
(Worried)

Last edited:
I like Serena said:
It seems you assume that $\{ e^{\mu_i z} \}$ forms an independent basis as long as the $\mu_i$ are distinct.
For instance $1\cdot e^{i\pi/2} = -1 \cdot e^{-i\pi/2}$.
And $2e^{1+i} + 3e^{2+i} = (2e+3e^2)e^i$.
(Worried)

Ahaa... Ok... (Thinking)
And what could I change? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Hey mathmari! (Wave)

For instance $1\cdot e^{i\pi/2 z} = -1 \cdot e^{-i\pi/2 z}$.
(Worried)

mathmari said:
Ahaa... Ok... (Thinking)
And what could I change? (Wondering)

Nevermind, I think $\{ e^{\mu_i z} :i=0..N, \text{ distinct } \mu_i\in \mathbb C \}$ does form a basis.
So I think your reasoning is correct, although you should probably mention that. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
Nevermind, I think $\{ e^{\mu_i z} :i=0..N, \text{ distinct } \mu_i\in \mathbb C \}$ does form a basis.
So I think your reasoning is correct, although you should probably mention that. (Thinking)

Do you mean that I should mention that $\{ e^{\mu_i z} :i=0..N, \text{ distinct } \mu_i\in \mathbb C \}$ forms a basis? So, in the ring $\text{EXP}(\mathbb{C})$ the linear differential equation of first order has always a solution except at the following cases:
  • $a \neq 0 \land b =0 \land \mu_j =0 \land \alpha_j \neq 0$
  • $a=0 \land b=0 \land y \neq 0$
  • $a \neq 0 \land b \neq 0 \land \mu_i =-\frac{b}{a} \land \alpha_i \neq 0$

Is this correct? (Wondering)

Related to Linear differential equation of first order in EXP(C)

1. What is a linear differential equation of first order in EXP(C)?

A linear differential equation of first order in EXP(C) is an equation that involves the derivative of a function and the function itself raised to the power of a constant (C). It can be written in the form dy/dx + P(x)y = Q(x)EXP(C), where P(x) and Q(x) are functions of x.

2. How is EXP(C) related to linear differential equations of first order?

EXP(C) is a mathematical term that represents the exponential function with a constant base (e) raised to the power of a constant (C). In linear differential equations of first order, EXP(C) is used to represent a particular type of solution.

3. What is the difference between a linear and non-linear differential equation?

A linear differential equation is one where the unknown function and its derivative appear in a linear form, meaning they are raised to the power of 1. Non-linear differential equations, on the other hand, have the unknown function and its derivative raised to different powers or multiplied together.

4. How do you solve a linear differential equation of first order in EXP(C)?

To solve a linear differential equation of first order in EXP(C), one must first separate the variables and integrate both sides of the equation. This will result in an equation with the unknown function on one side and a constant on the other. The constant can then be solved for using initial conditions or boundary conditions.

5. What are some real-life applications of linear differential equations of first order in EXP(C)?

Linear differential equations of first order in EXP(C) have many applications in science and engineering. They can be used to model physical systems such as radioactive decay, population growth, and electrical circuits. They are also commonly used in economics and finance to study growth and decay processes.