Linear Dependence in \mathbb{R}^4?

In summary, if $\textbf{v}_1,...,\textbf{v}_4 are in \mathbb{R}^4 and \{\textbf{v}_1, \textbf{v}_2, \textbf{v}_3\} is linearly dependent, is \{\textbf{v}_1, \textbf{v}_2, \textbf{v}_3, \textbf{v}_4\} also linearly dependent?Linearly independent sets of vectors are only dependent if the coefficient of each element is zero. If $\textbf{v}_4otin \text{Span}
bwpbruce
Question:
If \(\displaystyle \textbf{v}_1,...,\textbf{v}_4\) are in \(\displaystyle \mathbb{R}^4\) and \(\displaystyle \{\textbf{v}_1, \textbf{v}_2, \textbf{v}_3\}\) is linearly dependent, is \(\displaystyle \{\textbf{v}_1, \textbf{v}_2, \textbf{v}_3, \textbf{v}_4\}\) also linearly dependent?

My Solution:
http://s29.postimg.org/4wvwjlkqd/Linearly_Independent_Sets.png

Physics news on Phys.org
bwpbruce said:
No, it's only linearly independent if $c_1 = c_2 = c_3 = c_4 = 0$. I don't know if your intent is to help or to confuse further. If your linear algebra isn't up to par, then you shouldn't make contributions such as these.

That's a little rude. Since I own this site, I think I'll make contributions when I wish. My comment was not to confuse.

My comment was aiming towards this. If $\textbf{v}_4 \notin \text{Span}( \textbf{v}_1, \textbf{v}_2,\textbf{v}_3)$ then by definition $c_1 \textbf{v}_1+c_2 \textbf{v}_2+ c_3 \textbf{v}_3+ \ne c_4 \textbf{v}_4$, thus $c_1 \textbf{v}_1+c_2 \textbf{v}_2+ c_3 \textbf{v}_3- c_4\textbf{v}_4 \ne 0$ and they are in fact linearly independent but this isn't correct now that I think about it because $c_4$ can just be 0.

If you state that $c_4=0$ then your logic makes sense. The proof doesn't require two cases then and can be done as follows:

Assume $c_1 \textbf{v}_1+c_2 \textbf{v}_2+ c_3 \textbf{v}_3=0$ for some combination, not all 0, of $c_i$ by definition of linear dependence.

Then $c_1 \textbf{v}_1+c_2 \textbf{v}_2+ c_3 \textbf{v}_3+ 0\textbf{v}_4 = 0$ thus $(\textbf{v}_1, \textbf{v}_2, \textbf{v}_3, \textbf{v}_4)$ is linearly dependent.

Your proof is perfectly fine to me, if a little opaque and long-winded. Intuitively, if $(v_1, v_2, v_3)$ are linearly dependent then adding any number of additional vectors doesn't change that: you can still express $v_1$ as a linear combination of $v_2, v_3$ and all the extra vectors. The fact that some coefficients are zero is immaterial, as long as at least one is nonzero, which is guaranteed by the assumption that $(v_1, v_2, v_3)$ are linearly dependent to begin with.

Another way to think of it is that every subset of a linearly independent set of vectors is linearly independent (the proof is exactly the same as above, simply add zero coefficients to show linear independence is preserved). Ergo, if you have a linearly dependent subset then your set can't be linearly independent. I hope that clears it up.

How do you explain this then:
View attachment 3787
{$\textbf{u,v}$} is linearly dependent, yet they seem to be saying that {$\textbf{u,v,w}$} will be linearly independent if $\textbf{w}$ is not in span$\{\textbf{u,v}\}$

Attachments

• Geometric Description of Linear Dependence.PNG
    Geometric Description of Linear Dependence.PNG
    8.9 KB · Views: 49
bwpbruce said:
How do you explain this then:
View attachment 3787
{$\textbf{u,v}$} is linearly dependent, yet they seem to be saying that {$\textbf{u,v,w}$} will be linearly independent if $\textbf{w}$ is not in span$\{\textbf{u,v}\}$

The set $(u, v)$ doesn't look linearly dependent to me in this picture. If they were linearly dependent then there would be a nontrivial solution to $t_1 u + t_2 v = 0$, that is, $u = cv$ for some nonzero scalar $c$. Here $u$ and $v$ are very clearly not coplanar since they span a plane of dimension 2 (and hence form a basis of that plane since they span it, and that basis is necessarily linearly independent).

Explain again how $\textbf{u,v}$ are not co-planar again? I didn't understand it the first time you explained. They appear to be co-planar to me. You only need two dimensions to create a plane BTW.

bwpbruce said:
Explain again how $\textbf{u,v}$ are not co-planar again? I didn't understand it the first time you explained. They appear to be co-planar to me. You only need two dimensions to create a plane BTW.

Sorry, that was my mistake. I meant colinear, as per the linear dependence condition $u = cv$. What I mean is that they are not linearly dependent because one cannot be expressed as a linear combination of the other. Can you express $u$ as a (nontrivial) linear combination of $v$ (or vice versa)? If not, then they are linearly independent. (you can't, but you should try anyway)

You at least helped me figure out what it was I was mis-understanding about this. I thank you for that.

Related to Linear Dependence in \mathbb{R}^4?

What is a linearly dependent set?

A linearly dependent set is a collection of vectors in a vector space where at least one vector can be expressed as a linear combination of the other vectors.

How can I determine if a set is linearly dependent?

A set is linearly dependent if at least one vector in the set can be expressed as a linear combination of the other vectors. This can be determined by solving the system of linear equations formed by setting the linear combination equal to the zero vector and checking for non-trivial solutions.

What is a linear combination?

A linear combination is a mathematical expression that involves multiplying each vector in a set by a scalar and then adding them together. For example, in the set {(1,2), (2,4)}, a linear combination would be 3(1,2) + (-2)(2,4) = (-1,0).

Can a set be both linearly dependent and linearly independent?

No, a set cannot be both linearly dependent and linearly independent. A set is linearly independent if none of its vectors can be expressed as a linear combination of the other vectors, while a set is linearly dependent if at least one vector can be expressed as a linear combination of the other vectors.

How is linear dependence related to linear transformations?

A linear transformation is a function that maps vectors from one vector space to another while preserving vector addition and scalar multiplication. A linearly dependent set can be thought of as a set of vectors that can be transformed into one another through a linear transformation, while a linearly independent set cannot be transformed into one another through a linear transformation.