Linear Component of Polarization - Mathematical transformation

In summary, the conversation discusses the substitution of a nonlinear electric polarization equation into a more general form and how to integrate the resulting exponentials into the integral. The author is seeking clarification and a potential solution to this problem.
spookyfw
Hello,

I'm currently going through Agrawal's book 'Nonlinear Fiber Optics' and got stuck with some mathematical cosmetics (pp. 40). It is the substition of:
[tex] \vec{P_L}(\vec{r},t) = \frac{1}{2} \hat{x} \left(P_L \exp{(-i \omega_0 t)} + c.c.\right) [/tex]
into
[tex] \vec{P_L}(\vec{r},t) = \epsilon_0 \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \chi^{(1)} (t-t') \cdot E(\vec{r},t') dt' [/tex]
According to the book this should result in:
[tex] P_L(\vec{r},t) = \epsilon_0 \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\chi^{(1)}_{xx} (t-t') \cdot E(\vec{r},t') \exp{(i \omega_0 (t-t'))} dt' [/tex]
under the assumption that [itex] \chi [/itex] was diagonal, lumping [itex] \hat{x} [/itex] and [itex] \chi^{(1)} (t-t') [/itex] together makes sense. But what I don't get is how to integrate the exponentials into the integral. It looks like the shift theorem, but the sum of the two exponentials leaves me puzzled. Can anyone give me a hint?

Thank you very much in advance,
spookyfw

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Related to Linear Component of Polarization - Mathematical transformation

What is the linear component of polarization?

The linear component of polarization refers to the direction in which an electromagnetic wave oscillates. It is represented by a vector perpendicular to the direction of propagation of the wave.

How is the linear component of polarization mathematically transformed?

The linear component of polarization can be mathematically transformed using the Jones matrix, which is a 2x2 matrix that describes the transformation of the electric field vector of an electromagnetic wave as it passes through an optical element.

What is the significance of the linear component of polarization in optics?

The linear component of polarization is significant in optics because it determines the behavior of light as it interacts with different materials. It also plays a crucial role in various applications such as polarizers, wave plates, and optical filters.

How is the linear component of polarization measured?

The linear component of polarization can be measured using a polarimeter, which is an instrument that measures the intensity and angle of polarization of light. It works by analyzing the changes in polarization state as light passes through different materials.

What factors can affect the linear component of polarization?

The linear component of polarization can be affected by the angle of incidence, the material properties of the medium, and the wavelength of the light. It can also be manipulated by external factors such as magnetic fields or the use of polarizing filters.