Linear Combinations and description geometrically

If not, don't be afraid to ask more!In summary, the question is asking to describe geometrically all linear combinations of the two matrices [1 2 3] and [3 6 9]. After observing that the second matrix is a multiple of the first, it is determined that the space generated by these two matrices is 1-dimensional and thus forms a line. This is because every vector in this space can be written as a linear combination of the first matrix. The explanation is further elaborated with the use of scalars and a proof.
kanderson
Ok give me a break, this is my first lesson in my new linear algebra book. Seems fairly straightforward but a little befuddled as to whether I am doing this. The question states "Describe geometrically (line, plane, or all of R^3) all linear combinations of..."
Then I have a matrix v = [1 2 3] w = [3 6 9]... I do this.

cv-dw [-2 -4 -6] I believe it is R^3
v+w [4 8 11] Also R^3

If you could offer if I am still befuddled, [1 0 0] and [0 2 3]

forgot my proof...cv + dw = c[1 1 0]+d[0 1 1] it turns out as cv+dw = [c c+d d]

Need to start learning latex -.-

(Maybe I can get ahead of Jameson and his linear algebra *snickers*) (Beer)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
kanderson said:
Ok give me a break, this is my first lesson in my new linear algebra book. Seems fairly straightforward but a little befuddled as to whether I am doing this. The question states "Describe geometrically (line, plane, or all of R^3) all linear combinations of..."

I'm rather confused here. Are c and d scalars? I'm just not making any sense of what you are asking here.

-Dan

kanderson said:

v+w [4 8 11] Also R^3

If you could offer if I am still befuddled, [1 0 0] and [0 2 3]

forgot my proof...cv + dw = c[1 1 0]+d[0 1 1] it turns out as cv+dw = [c c+d d]

Need to start learning latex -.-

(Maybe I can get ahead of Jameson and his linear algebra *snickers*) (Beer)

Please use English when framing your question. Whatever you have used above has rendered your post incomprehensible.

If you do not understand what the question is asking post the question as asked.

CB

Sorry, I was really tired yesterday..

Describe geometrically (line, plane, or all of 3rd dimension (R^3)) all linear combinations of these two matrices... [1 2 3] and [3 6 9]

That was the question

Good night Kanderson. First you have to notice that $\begin{bmatrix} 3 & 6 & 9 \end{bmatrix}$ is a multiple of $\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 2 & 3 \end{bmatrix}$. In fact, $\begin{bmatrix} 3 & 6 & 9 \end{bmatrix} = 3 \cdot \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 2 & 3 \end{bmatrix}$.

This means they generate the same space, therefore they are equivalent vectors.

Thus your space is generated by this sole vector, hence you have a dimension 1 space. A dimension 1 space is a line, and there's your answer. (Handshake)

Oh I see... Thank you.

kanderson said:
Oh I see... Thank you.

I'm not convinced that you do see, if you don't mind my saying :) Don't feel like you can't ask for more help. CB's comment was made so you can get help in the most efficient way. We want to help you.

Are you sure you understand the problem?

Well I see what he did there with the scalar...I understand that it fills a line...

but what about [1 0 0] and [0 2 3] I don't see any similarities...then
this one also [2 0 0] [0 2 2] [2 2 3]

I feel kind of narrow minded ...

I guess for the sake for completeness of the answer I'll put more information.

In $\mathbb{R}^3$ we say that a 1-dimensional space is a line, a 2-dimensional space and a 3-dimensional space is $\mathbb{R}^3$ itself.

A linear combination of vectors $\alpha_1, \ldots, \alpha_n$ is the element $\gamma_1 \alpha_1 + \cdots + \gamma_n \alpha_n$.

For a space to be 1-dimensional there has to be only one generator, that is, every vector has to be a multiple of another (essentially, the linear combination of one vector).

For a space to be 2-dimensional there has to be two generators, that means every vector has to be a linear combination of those two.

In our cases, let us take the linear combination of those matrices. Denoting the scalars by $\alpha_1, \alpha_2$ we have that the linear combination is

$$\alpha_1 \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 2 & 3 \end{bmatrix} + \alpha_2 \begin{bmatrix} 3 & 6 & 9 \end{bmatrix}.$$

We have already noted that $\begin{bmatrix} 3 & 6 & 9 \end{bmatrix} = 3 \cdot \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 2 & 3 \end{bmatrix}$, therefore the combination becomes

$$\alpha_1 \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 2 & 3 \end{bmatrix} + \alpha_2 \begin{bmatrix} 3 & 6 & 9 \end{bmatrix} = \alpha_1 \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 2 & 3 \end{bmatrix} + 3 \alpha_2 \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 2 & 3 \end{bmatrix}.$$

Grouping the terms we have that

$$\alpha_1 \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 2 & 3 \end{bmatrix} + 3 \alpha_2 \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 2 & 3 \end{bmatrix} = (\alpha_1 + 3 \alpha_2) \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 2 & 3 \end{bmatrix} = \gamma \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 2 & 3 \end{bmatrix},$$

where $\gamma$ is some scalar in $\mathbb{R}$. It doesn't matter that $\gamma = \alpha_1 + 3 \alpha_2$ but rather that it is a real scalar. Therefore, all elements that are linear combinations of those two matrices are, in fact, just multiples of the first. By our definition, this means it is a 1-dimensional space and hence a line.

I hope this clears up everything.

Related to Linear Combinations and description geometrically

1. What is a linear combination?

A linear combination is a mathematical operation in which two or more vectors are added or subtracted from each other, multiplied by a scalar (a number), and then summed together to create a new vector. This process is often used in linear algebra to solve systems of equations and to describe transformations in geometric space.

2. How is a linear combination represented geometrically?

In geometric terms, a linear combination is represented as a combination of vectors that can be scaled and added together to create a new vector. This can be visualized as movement along different axes in a multi-dimensional space. For example, in two-dimensional space, a linear combination of two vectors can be represented as a line segment between the two vectors, with the new vector being the endpoint of the line.

3. What is the significance of linear combinations in mathematics?

Linear combinations have many important applications in mathematics, particularly in linear algebra and geometry. They are used to solve systems of equations, find solutions to optimization problems, and describe transformations in vector spaces. Additionally, linear combinations are essential in understanding the concept of linear independence, which is a fundamental concept in linear algebra.

4. Can you give an example of a linear combination in real life?

Yes, many real-life situations can be described using linear combinations. For example, if you are trying to find the optimal combination of ingredients for a recipe, you are essentially finding a linear combination of those ingredients. Another example is calculating the net force on an object, which is a linear combination of the individual forces acting on that object.

5. How do you solve a system of equations using linear combinations?

To solve a system of equations using linear combinations, you can use a method called Gaussian elimination. This involves using elementary row operations to transform the system of equations into an equivalent system with a triangular matrix. Once the system is in this form, you can easily solve for the variables by back-substitution. Another method is to use matrices and the inverse matrix to solve the system of equations.