Linear attenuation coefficient

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the thickness of a foil made from absorber II to achieve the same absorption as a 1mm thick foil made from absorber I for x-rays with energy 5X106. The formula for calculating the attenuation of the x-ray beam through an absorption material is given, and the table of photon energies and absorption coefficients for absorber I and II is provided. The solution involves using logarithms to find the thickness of the absorber II, and considering the linear attenuation coefficient to determine the relationship between the thickness and the absorption coefficient. The final answer is 2mm, as the value of a is halved, the thickness of the absorber needs to be doubled to maintain the same formula
jagguy

Homework Statement

This i self study!
Hi, How thick should a foil made from absorber II be to give the same absoption as 1mm thick foil made from absorber I for xrays with energy 5X106

xray beam passing through an absorption material it is attenuated , this is given by

I/Io e-ax

io =initial intensity of the beam
i=intensity of beam from absorber taken as average amount of photons emerging from 1cm2
x=thickness of slab of absorbing material in cm-1
a=linear attenuation material
e=2.718

table photon energies 5X106
absorber 1 .4
absorber 2 .2

Homework Equations

linear attenuation coefficient=% reduced/thickness of absorber

The Attempt at a Solution

used logs to find x

tried to use linear attenuation coefficient
but really got stuck on what to do

Physics news on Phys.org
I/Io= e-ax

I/Io =e-ax

i go t an answer of 2mm because ax value where a is halved so x is doubled to keep same forumla

Related to Linear attenuation coefficient

What is the Linear Attenuation Coefficient?

The Linear Attenuation Coefficient, also known as the mass attenuation coefficient, is a measurement of the rate at which a material absorbs or attenuates radiation. It is a fundamental property of a material and is often used in the fields of nuclear physics, radiology, and medical imaging.

How is the Linear Attenuation Coefficient calculated?

The Linear Attenuation Coefficient is calculated by dividing the total attenuation coefficient of a material by its density. The total attenuation coefficient takes into account both the absorption and scattering of radiation by the material.

What factors affect the value of the Linear Attenuation Coefficient?

The value of the Linear Attenuation Coefficient is affected by the energy of the radiation, the type of material, and the thickness of the material. Higher energy radiation tends to have a lower Linear Attenuation Coefficient, while denser materials tend to have a higher coefficient.

What units is the Linear Attenuation Coefficient measured in?

The Linear Attenuation Coefficient is typically measured in units of cm2/g. This unit represents the cross-sectional area of the material per unit mass and is commonly used in the scientific community.

How is the Linear Attenuation Coefficient used in practical applications?

The Linear Attenuation Coefficient is used in a variety of practical applications, such as medical imaging, radiation therapy, and industrial radiography. It helps to determine the amount of radiation that will be attenuated by a material, which is important for ensuring safety and accuracy in these fields.