Linear and Rotational Kinetic Energy

In summary, we are calculating the fraction of linear kinetic energy of a solid cylinder rolling without slipping. Using the equation Ke=\frac{3(mv)^2}{4}, we find that the linear kinetic energy is \frac{2}{3} of the total kinetic energy. This can also be checked by considering the effective mass of the rolling cylinder. For a sphere, the fraction would be \frac{5}{7}.
woaini

Homework Statement

A solid cylinder is rolling without slipping. What fraction of its kinetic energy is linear?

Homework Equations

Ke=[itex]\frac{mv^2}{2}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{I(v/r)^2}{2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Ke=[itex]\frac{mv^2}{2}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{(v/r)^2}{2}[/itex]*[itex]\frac{(mr)^2}{2}[/itex]

Ke=[itex]\frac{3(mv)^2}{4}[/itex]

Linear Ke =[itex]\frac{(mv)^2}{4}[/itex]

Fraction of Linear Ke = [itex]\frac{linear Ke}{Ke}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{(1/4)}{(3/4)}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{3}[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
hi woaini! :smile:
woaini said:
Linear Ke =[itex]\frac{(mv)^2}{4}[/itex]

uhh? :confused:

woaini said:
Ke= ... *[itex]\frac{(mr)^2}{2}[/itex]
The m should not be getting squared. You need to be more careful with the parentheses.

tiny-tim said:
hi woaini! :smile:

uhh? :confused:

Nvm it should be 1/2. Therefore I should get a final answer of 2/3 linear kinetic energy?

woaini said:
Therefore I should get a final answer of 2/3 linear kinetic energy?

yup! :biggrin:

btw, a way of checking this is to say the mass is m, the "rolling mass" (= I/r2) = m/2, so the "effective mass" is 3m/2, and eg the acceleration down a slope must be multiplied by 2/3 (but don't use that in the exam :wink:)

(for a sphere, it's m + 2m/5 = 7m/5, and the acceleration must be multiplied by 5/7)

Related to Linear and Rotational Kinetic Energy

1. What is linear kinetic energy?

Linear kinetic energy is the energy possessed by an object due to its motion in a straight line. It is calculated using the equation KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

2. How does rotational kinetic energy differ from linear kinetic energy?

Rotational kinetic energy is the energy possessed by an object due to its rotational motion. It is calculated using the equation KE = 1/2 * I * ω^2, where I is the moment of inertia of the object and ω is its angular velocity. Unlike linear kinetic energy, which is dependent on an object's mass and linear velocity, rotational kinetic energy depends on an object's moment of inertia and angular velocity.

3. Is kinetic energy conserved in a closed system?

Yes, according to the law of conservation of energy, the total energy of a closed system remains constant. This means that the sum of an object's linear and rotational kinetic energy, along with any other forms of energy, will remain the same as long as there are no external forces or energy transfers within the system.

4. How is kinetic energy related to work?

Kinetic energy and work are closely related, as work is defined as the transfer of energy from one system to another. When a force is applied to an object and causes it to move, work is being done on the object and its kinetic energy is increasing.

5. Can an object have both linear and rotational kinetic energy at the same time?

Yes, an object can have both linear and rotational kinetic energy at the same time. This is often the case for objects that are both moving in a straight line and rotating, such as a spinning top or a rolling wheel. In these cases, the total kinetic energy of the object would be the sum of its linear and rotational kinetic energies.