Linear Algebra - Two questions

In summary: That's what I'm doing for Q2.Sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean by "listed as column vectors V1-V3 instead." Are you trying to say that the vectors are linearly dependent if and only if the determinant of the matrix formed by those vectors is equal to 0?
MJay82

Homework Statement

Q1: Find the value(s) of h for which the vectors are linearly dependent. Justify your answer.
Q2: The linear transformation T is defined by T(x)=Ax. Find a vector x whose image under T is b and determine whether x is unique.

Homework Equations

Q1: I'm going to write the vectors as linear equations instead, since it should be easier to input:
1(x1) -2(x2) + 3(x3)
5(x1) -9(x2) + h(x3)
-3(x1) +6(x2) -9(x3)

Q2: I will write Matrix A with vector b in linear equation form as well.
1(x1) -5(x2) -7(x3) = -2
-3(x1) +7(x2) +5(x3) = -2

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel like I'm mostly right on these, but I would like some confirmation before I have to turn them in.

For Q1: I noticed that row 3 is a scalar multiple of row 1, so I performed the necessary row operation to make it a zero row. Then I replaced row 2 with the sum of row 2 and (-5) row 1. This left me with:
1(x1) - 2(x2) + 3(x3)
0(x1) + 1(x2) +h-15(x3)
0 0 0

I'm a little fuzzy on linear dependency, but I thought that if I could make x3 a free variable, then I'd have it. But then I noticed that x3 is always going to be a free variable, so it seems to me that the solution should be all real numbers.

For Q2 - I'll just say the row operations I did, and the solution that I came up with:
(3)row 1 + row 2 replace row 2.
Scale row 2 by -(1/8)
(5)row 2 + row 1 replace row 1.

This left me with:
(x3) free
(x1) = 3 - 3(x3)
(x2) = 1 - 2(x3)
And my answer is: Since (x3) is free, the solution is not unique.
Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Take the determinant of the matrix and set it to 0

MJay82 said:

Homework Statement

Q1: Find the value(s) of h for which the vectors are linearly dependent. Justify your answer.
Q2: The linear transformation T is defined by T(x)=Ax. Find a vector x whose image under T is b and determine whether x is unique.

Homework Equations

Q1: I'm going to write the vectors as linear equations instead, since it should be easier to input:
1(x1) -2(x2) + 3(x3)
5(x1) -9(x2) + h(x3)
-3(x1) +6(x2) -9(x3)
These are NOT equations. If they were, each row would have an = in it.

What are x1, x2, and x3? Are they vectors? Are they components of a single vector?

MJay82 said:
Q2: I will write Matrix A with vector b in linear equation form as well.
1(x1) -5(x2) -7(x3) = -2
-3(x1) +7(x2) +5(x3) = -2

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel like I'm mostly right on these, but I would like some confirmation before I have to turn them in.

For Q1: I noticed that row 3 is a scalar multiple of row 1, so I performed the necessary row operation to make it a zero row. Then I replaced row 2 with the sum of row 2 and (-5) row 1. This left me with:
1(x1) - 2(x2) + 3(x3)
0(x1) + 1(x2) +h-15(x3)
0 0 0
Since you don't have a system of equations, what you're doing here doesn't seem valid to me.

What is the exact wording of these problems?
MJay82 said:
I'm a little fuzzy on linear dependency, but I thought that if I could make x3 a free variable, then I'd have it. But then I noticed that x3 is always going to be a free variable, so it seems to me that the solution should be all real numbers.

For Q2 - I'll just say the row operations I did, and the solution that I came up with:
(3)row 1 + row 2 replace row 2.
Scale row 2 by -(1/8)
(5)row 2 + row 1 replace row 1.

This left me with:
(x3) free
(x1) = 3 - 3(x3)
(x2) = 1 - 2(x3)
And my answer is: Since (x3) is free, the solution is not unique.
Thanks for any help.

The exact wording of the problems is what I wrote.
For Q1, just imagine a coeffecient matrix, now imagine them listed as column vectors V1-V3 instead.

Related to Linear Algebra - Two questions

What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It deals with concepts such as matrices, vectors, and linear transformations, and is widely used in fields such as physics, engineering, data science, and machine learning.

What are the applications of linear algebra?

Linear algebra has numerous applications in various fields. Some examples include solving systems of linear equations in engineering, analyzing network traffic in computer science, and finding patterns in large datasets in data science. It is also used in image and signal processing, quantum mechanics, and game development.