Linear algebra problem-solving

In summary, the given system of linear equations has infinitely many solutions. By subtracting one equation from the other, one variable can be uniquely determined, but the other variable can take on any value. To find a unique solution, another condition must be added to the system.
orgekas
Construct a linear system determined by four numbers whose sum is 40, with the first three numbers adding up to 20 and the last three to 30.

a) Explain why this system has infinitely many solutions.
b) Add another condition on the numbers so that a unique solution can be found and then find this solution.

Anyone can help?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please see rule #11 http://mathhelpboards.com/rules/ (click on the Expand button at the top of the list).

What do you know about systems of linear equations?

Ok sorry for not showing my work.

But I didn't have much to show. I know the answer to the first question but not to the second one.

I've constructed my equations as following

x1 + x2 +x3 + x4 =40

x1 + x2 + x3 = 20

x3 + x3 +X4 = 30

I don't know what to do from there.

The system is correct except that the last equation should say $x_2+x_3+x_4=30$ and $x$'s should be all lowercase or all uppercase (preferably, the former).

Do you know about the matrix of a system of equations? Echelon normal form? Rank of a matrix? Rouché–Capelli theorem? Determinants?

Note that by subtracting the second equation from the first one, $x_4$ is uniquely determined. But what about $x_3$? Can you let it equal any number and still find $x_2$ and $x_1$?

Yes I do know all that stuff. I was thinking of letting x3 = 10?

orgekas said:
I was thinking of letting x3 = 10?
My question was, Can you let $x_3$ equal any number and still find $x_2$ and $x_1$? And the answer is yes. Therefore, the system has infinite number of solutions.

Related to Linear algebra problem-solving

1. What is linear algebra problem-solving?

Linear algebra problem-solving is the process of using mathematical techniques and concepts from linear algebra to solve problems related to systems of linear equations, matrices, vectors, and other linear transformations.

2. Why is linear algebra important for problem-solving?

Linear algebra provides a powerful and efficient framework for solving a wide range of problems in various fields such as engineering, physics, computer science, economics, and more. It allows for the manipulation of complex systems and data sets, making it a valuable tool for problem-solving.

3. What are some common applications of linear algebra problem-solving?

Linear algebra problem-solving can be applied to various real-world problems, such as image and signal processing, data compression, machine learning, optimization, and many more. It is also used in computer graphics to create and manipulate 3D objects.

4. What are some techniques used in linear algebra problem-solving?

Some common techniques used in linear algebra problem-solving include Gaussian elimination, matrix operations, eigenvalue and eigenvector analysis, and vector spaces. These techniques allow for the simplification and manipulation of complex equations and systems.

5. How can I improve my skills in linear algebra problem-solving?

To improve your skills in linear algebra problem-solving, it is important to practice regularly and work on various types of problems. You can also seek out additional resources such as textbooks, online courses, and practice problems to help strengthen your understanding and application of linear algebra concepts.