Linear Algebra: Mapping Question

However, in this case, it seems that the solution is considering the set of points (y,2y), for all values of y, which would correspond to the line x=2y.
srfriggen

Homework Statement

From Serge Lang's "Linear Algebra, 3rd Edition", pg 51 exercise 9.

Prove that the image is equal to a certain set S by proving that the image is contained in S, and also that every element of S in in the image.

9. Let F:R2→R2 be the mapping defined by F(x,y)=(xy,y). Describe the image under F of the straight line x=2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I first simply drew out a vertical line of x=2 and applied F to (2,y) for various values of y.
F(2,0)=(0,0)
F(2,1)=(2,1)
F(2,2)=(4,2).

I noticed it seemed to form a line which could be described by y=(1/2)x .

I got a little stuck and looked at the answer and to my surprise the image was a line with slope 2.Below is the answer, and I just don't understand it...

SOLUTION The image of F is the line whose equation is y=2x. Indeed, if (2,y) belongs to the line x=2, then F(2,y)=(2y,y), and clearly (2y,y) belongs to the line y=2x. Conversely, suppose v=2u; then F(2,v/2)=(v,v/2)=(v,u).
I don't see why "clearly (2y,y) belongs to the line y=2x". If x is twice y in that tuple, wouldn't the equation be x=2y, or equivalently y=x/2 ?The other part I partly understand. I see why F(2,v/2)=(v,u) after applying the transformation, but I don't understand the significance of using v and u and setting up the equation v=2u.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are right. It appears to be an error in the solution, or at the very least an ambiguous use of notation. By convention, when you're dealing with [itex] \mathbb{R}^2 [/itex], you always consider the first coordinate to be the ''horizontal'' coordinate. I would agree with you when you say that the set of points (2y,y), for all values of y, belongs to the line y=2x, where y is the vertical axis and x is the horizontal axis.

Related to Linear Algebra: Mapping Question

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a function that maps one vector space to another while preserving the structure of the vector space. It follows the properties of linearity, which include preserving addition and scalar multiplication.

2. What is a matrix in linear algebra?

In linear algebra, a matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or symbols arranged in rows and columns. It is used to represent linear transformations and solve systems of linear equations.

3. What is the difference between a vector and a scalar?

A vector is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction, while a scalar only has magnitude. In linear algebra, vectors are represented as column matrices and scalars are simply numbers.

4. What is the purpose of mapping in linear algebra?

Mapping in linear algebra is used to describe and analyze linear transformations between vector spaces. It helps to understand the relationships between different vector spaces and the effects of linear transformations on them.

5. How is mapping used in real-world applications?

Mapping is used in various fields such as engineering, computer science, economics, and physics. It is used to model and solve problems involving linear relationships, such as optimization, data compression, and image processing.