Linear Algebra- Linear Transformations

In summary, the linear transformation T:R3-->R4 maps the vectors (1,-2,3) and (2,1,-1) to (1,2,3,4) and (1,0,-1,0) respectively. Using the property of linearity, we can determine that T(-8,1,-3) = (-5,-4,-3,-8). Therefore, the correct answer is A. (-5,-4,-3,-8).
FinalStand

Homework Statement

Let T: R3--> R4 be a linear transformation. Assume that T(1,-2,3) = (1,2,3,4), T(2,1,-1)=(1,0,-1,0)
Which of the following is T(-8,1-3)?

A. (-5,-4,-3,-8)
B. (-5,-4,-3,8)
C. (-5,-4,3,-8).
D.(-5,4,3,-8)
E (-5,4,-3,8)
F. None of the above.

Homework Equations

I really have no clue how to solve this problem. All I know is how to verify if it is linear transformation or not by verifying T(u+v) = T(u) + T(v) and cT(u) = T(c(u)).
And that T(x) = Ax and also that T(0)=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried applying those above but nothing works for me. To be honest I have no clue how to start, I tried to find patterns but failed to identify any. Any hints?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can combine those two conditions for linearity and say ##T(r\vec{u}+s\vec{v}) = rT(\vec{u}) + sT(\vec{v})##. Try think how that might be useful in light of the information you've been given about T.

I got something like T(r+2s, -2r+s, 3r-s) = (r+s, 2r, 3r-s, 4r) Then the answer could be A. But how do you actually do the question how tdo you solve that? I just did by guessing and inputing numbers to get one of the choices (A-F).

Oh I got it, you just have to set the T(...) = T(-8,1,-3) :D

Yup. :smile:

Related to Linear Algebra- Linear Transformations

What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another, while preserving the basic structure of the original space. In other words, it is a transformation that preserves both addition and scalar multiplication.

What are some examples of linear transformations?

Some common examples of linear transformations include scaling, rotation, reflection, shearing, and projection. These transformations can be applied to various mathematical objects, such as vectors, matrices, and geometric shapes.

How is a linear transformation represented mathematically?

A linear transformation is typically represented by a matrix. The transformation is applied to a vector by multiplying it with the transformation matrix, resulting in a new vector in the transformed space.

What is the difference between a linear transformation and a non-linear transformation?

The main difference between a linear and non-linear transformation is that a linear transformation preserves the basic operations of addition and scalar multiplication, while a non-linear transformation does not. This means that the result of applying a linear transformation to a combination of vectors will be the same as applying the transformation to each vector individually and then combining the results. This is not true for non-linear transformations.

How is linear algebra used in real life applications?

Linear algebra and linear transformations are used in a wide range of real life applications, including computer graphics, data analysis, optimization problems, and machine learning. They are also essential in engineering, physics, economics, and many other fields to model and solve various problems. Linear algebra provides a powerful framework for understanding and solving complex systems and has numerous practical applications in our daily lives.