Linear Algebra - Linear Transformation of a polynomial

In summary, the transformation h(p(x)) = xp'(x) + p(1-x) with respect to the standard basis \{1, x, x^2\} can be represented by the matrix \left[ \begin{array}{ccc} 1 & 2 & 3 \\ 0 & 1 & -2 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 \end{array} \right].
Jonmundsson

Homework Statement

Let [itex]h: \mathbb{P_2} \rightarrow \mathbb{P_2}[/itex] represent the transformation [itex]h(p(x)) = xp'(x) + p(1-x)[/itex] for every polynomial [itex]p(x) \in \mathbb{P_2}[/itex]. Find the matrix of h with respect to the standard basis [itex]\{1, x, x^2\}[/itex]

Homework Equations

Matrix A of transformation: [itex]{\bf A} = [T(e_1) \hspace{0.5em} T(e_2) \hspace{0.5em} \ldots \hspace{0.5em} T(e_n)][/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Let [itex]p(x) = ax^2 + bx + c[/itex] then [itex]p'(x) = 2ax + b[/itex] and [itex]p(1-x) = a(1-x)^2 + b(1 - x) + c = ax^2 - 2ax + a + b - bx + c = ax^2 - 2ax - bx + a + b + c[/itex].

Now we can rewrite [itex]h(p(x)) = xp'(x) + p(1-x)[/itex] as
[itex]h(p(x)) = x(2ax + b) + ax^2 - 2ax - bx + a + b + c[/itex]

This is as far as I have gotten. I'm guessing that I am supposed to put [itex]h(p(1)) = x(2a + b) + a - 2a - b + a + b + c = 2ax + bx + c[/itex] making the first column of h's matrix [itex]\left[ \begin{array}{c} c \\ 2a + b \\ 0 \end{array} \right] [/itex]. Process is repeated for [itex]h(p(x))[/itex] and [itex]h(p(x^2))[/itex]

Am I on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are making a mistake in doing the "abstract" calculation of p(1-x). You are specifically asked to use the "standard" matrix, 1, x, [itex]x^2[/itex].

If p(x)= 1, then p'(x)= 0 and p(1- x)= 1. T(p)= xp'(x)+ p(1- x)= x(0)+ 1= 1.

If p(x)= x, then p'(x)= 1 and p(1- x)= 1- x. T(p)= x(1)+ 1- x= 2- x.

If [itex]p(x)= x^2[/itex], then [itex]p'(x)= 2x[/itex] and [itex]p(1- x)= 1- 2x+ x^2[/itex]. [itex]T(p)= x(2x)+ 1- 2x+ x^2= 3x^2- 2x+ 1[/itex].

I see. Thank you for the help.

Related to Linear Algebra - Linear Transformation of a polynomial

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another in a way that preserves the underlying algebraic structure. In simpler terms, it is a transformation that preserves the linearity of the original vector space.

2. How is a polynomial represented in linear algebra?

In linear algebra, a polynomial is represented as a linear combination of monomials. This means that it is written as the sum of a constant multiple of each variable raised to a non-negative integer power, such as ax2 + bx + c.

3. What is the matrix representation of a linear transformation of a polynomial?

The matrix representation of a linear transformation of a polynomial is a square matrix where the entries represent the coefficients of the transformed polynomial. The transformation can be applied to the polynomial by multiplying it with the matrix.

4. How can linear transformations be used to solve polynomial equations?

Linear transformations can be used to solve polynomial equations by representing the equation as a matrix equation and then using techniques such as Gaussian elimination to solve for the unknown variables.

5. What are some real-world applications of linear transformations of polynomials?

Linear transformations of polynomials have many real-world applications, such as in computer graphics, data compression, and signal processing. They are also used in physics and engineering to model and analyze systems that exhibit linear behavior.