Linear Algebra / Linear Maps (Transformations)

In summary, the permutation of a vector x is a set of three elements {(x, y, z)} where y is the result of permuting the first two elements. The transformation that takes a complex n-tuple as input and produces a complex n-tuple as output seems to produce one single ordered n-tuple, rather than a whole set.
Hypercube
This isn't really a homework question, I just need help understanding the example:

=====================
upload_2016-12-24_15-10-25.png

====================

So transformation takes complex n-tuple as input, and it seems output is also a complex n-tuple (which is what makes it "operator"). But permutations of n entries is not n. I'm confused! Let's use the simple example, let x = (1, 2, 3). Permutations of this vector would be a set of 3! entries:

{(1, 2, 3),(1, 3, 2),(2, 1, 3),(2, 3, 1),(3, 1, 2),(3, 2, 1)}

But the transformation seems to produce one single ordered n-tuple, rather than a whole set.

Alternative interpretation would be that entries in the range of T: eta1, eta2, eta3, ..., etan are the number of permutations of the first n elements. But that also makes no sense, I would end up with a sequence of natural numbers that do not depend on the input vector.

I must be misunderstanding something, and I have a feeling it's obvious. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

(Note to moderator: I have not used the template since it is not applicable; no questions nor relevant equations. My thoughts and effort on the example have been included though. Also, apologies if I am posting in the wrong place.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hypercube said:
So transformation takes complex n-tuple as input, and it seems output is also a complex n-tuple (which is what makes it "operator"). But permutations of n entries is not n. I'm confused! Let's use the simple example, let x = (1, 2, 3). Permutations of this vector would be a set of 3! entries:
That is not relevant to this problem. We are just talking about one particular permutation, π, not how many different ones there might be. Aπ is just one particular way of shuffling the elements of x.

FactChecker said:
That is not relevant to this problem. We are just talking about one particular permutation, π, not how many different ones there might be. Aπ is just one particular way of shuffling the elements of x.
You are right! I was just about to post that I have figured it out. Thank you for your reply!

Related to Linear Algebra / Linear Maps (Transformations)

1. What is Linear Algebra?

Linear Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the study of linear transformations, matrices, and systems of linear equations.

2. What are Linear Maps or Transformations?

Linear Maps or Transformations are mathematical functions that preserve the properties of linearity, such as scaling and addition. In other words, they map a vector from one vector space to another while maintaining the same structure and properties of the original vector.

3. What are the applications of Linear Algebra?

Linear Algebra has various applications in fields such as engineering, physics, computer graphics, data analysis, and machine learning. It is used to solve systems of linear equations, model and analyze data, and transform geometric objects.

4. What are some common examples of Linear Maps?

Some common examples of Linear Maps include rotations, reflections, scaling, and shearing. These transformations are frequently used in computer graphics and image processing to manipulate and manipulate objects or images.

5. What is the role of matrices in Linear Algebra?

Matrices are an essential tool in Linear Algebra as they provide a convenient way to represent and manipulate linear transformations. They are also used to solve systems of linear equations, perform matrix operations, and compute eigenvalues and eigenvectors.