Linear Algebra: Elementary Row Operations

In summary, Elementary Matrices are represented by mxm matrices Ers, Dr( \lambda ), and Trs( \mu ), where Ers swaps rows r and s, Dr( \lambda ) multiplies row r by \lambda, and Trs( \mu ) adds \mu times row s to row r. The determinant of these three matrices is 1 for Ers, \lambda for Dr( \lambda ), and 1 for Trs( \mu ).
SNOOTCHIEBOOCHEE
Elementary Matrices: Let A be a mxn matrix. Write down mxm matrices Ers, Dr([tex] \lambda [/tex]) and Trs([tex] \mu [/tex])

Ers Swaps rows r and s,

Dr([tex] \lambda [/tex]) multiplies row r by [tex] \lambda [/tex]

Trs([tex] \mu [/tex]) adds [tex] \mu [/tex] times row s to row r

compute the determinant of the three matrices you found

I don't have trouble with the determinant part of this problem. i am however stuck finding Ers and Trs. i also am not sure if my soltion for Dr (lambda) is correct. i got the following (assuming row r is the top row and mxm=3x3)

Ok latex doesn't like me so the matrix looks like this

[ Lambda , 0 , 0
0 1 0
0 0 1]

PS I am not proficient in latex at all so this might not work

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
. The determinant of these three matrices is: Ers: The determinant is 1.Dr( \lambda ): The determinant is \lambda .Trs( \mu ): The determinant is 1.

Related to Linear Algebra: Elementary Row Operations

1. What are elementary row operations in linear algebra?

Elementary row operations are three basic operations used to manipulate the rows of a matrix in linear algebra. These operations include multiplying a row by a non-zero constant, adding one row to another row, and swapping two rows. They are used to simplify and solve systems of linear equations and to determine properties of matrices.

2. How do elementary row operations affect the solution of a system of linear equations?

Elementary row operations do not change the solution of a system of linear equations. They only manipulate the equations in a way that makes it easier to solve for the variables. The solution to the system remains the same, but it may be easier to determine using elementary row operations.

3. What is the purpose of elementary row operations?

The purpose of elementary row operations is to simplify systems of linear equations and to determine properties of matrices. They are used to transform a matrix into a form that is easier to work with and to solve equations more efficiently.

4. How do I perform elementary row operations on a matrix?

To perform elementary row operations on a matrix, you must first identify which operation you want to use (multiplying by a constant, adding rows, or swapping rows). Then, apply the chosen operation to the desired rows of the matrix. Repeat this process until the desired result is achieved.

5. Can elementary row operations be used on any type of matrix?

Elementary row operations can be used on any type of matrix, as long as the operations are performed correctly. However, they are most commonly used on square matrices, which have the same number of rows and columns. Non-square matrices may require additional steps to simplify using elementary row operations.