Linear algebra - dimension and intersection

In summary, the codimension of a subspace W of a vector space V is the dimension of W minus the dimension of the subset V\{W}.
zwingtip

Homework Statement

let [tex]V[/tex] be a finite dimensional vector space of dimension n. For [tex]W \leq V [/tex] define the codimension of [tex]W[/tex] in [tex]V[/tex] to be [tex]codim(W) = dim(V) - dim(W)[/tex]. Let [tex]W_i, 1 \leq i \leq r[/tex] be subspaces of [tex]V[/tex] and [tex]S = \cap_{i=1}^{r}W_i[/tex]. Prove:

[tex]codim(S) \leq \sum_{i=1}^{r} codim(W_i)[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex] dim(U + V) = dim(U) + dim(V) - dim(U \cap V)
\sum_{i=1}^{r} codim(W_i) = \sum_{i=1}^{r} (n - dim(W_i)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm completely lost here. I know I need to prove this by induction. Any tips to point me in the right direction? Can I use the fact that [tex]codim(S) = n - dim(\cap_{i=1}^{r} W_i[/tex] and [tex] dim(U \cap V) < dim(U) + dim(V)[/tex] assuming [tex]dim(U + V) \neq 0[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
only had a quick look, but not convinced this is true..

take the case when say dim(W1) = dim(W2) = 1, in Rn, then codim(W1) = codim(W2) = n-1

now say the intersection S is only the zero vector then dim(S) = 0 and codim(S) = n >n-1> Can up with oher higherdimensional arguments similarly

Still doesn't make sense to me. What if the intersection contains more than just the zero vector? Sorry for being stupid. Help?

actually i think my exampel was wrong as
codim(S) = n < codim(W1) + codim(W1) = 2n-2, which works for for n>=3

now take R3, say you have 2 planes P1 & P2 that intersect in a line L, then
dim(R3) = 3
dim(P1) = dim(P2) = 3, then codim(P1) = codim(P2) = 2
dim(L) = 1, codim(L) = 2

so
codim(L) = 2 <= codim(P1) + codim(P2) = 1 + 1 = 2

I think I've got it with an induction proof from the base cases r=1, r=2 and the inductive step being that it holds for r>2 then manipulating it algebraically for an entire page of 5mm graph paper. THanks.

Related to Linear algebra - dimension and intersection

1. What is the definition of dimension in linear algebra?

The dimension of a vector space in linear algebra is the number of vectors in a basis for the space. It represents the minimum number of vectors needed to span the entire space.

2. How is dimension related to the number of variables in a linear system?

The dimension of a linear system is equal to the number of variables in the system. This is because each variable represents a dimension in the vector space of solutions.

3. What is the intersection of two vector spaces?

The intersection of two vector spaces is the set of all vectors that are common to both spaces. In other words, it is the set of all vectors that satisfy the equations of both vector spaces.

4. Can the intersection of two vector spaces be empty?

Yes, the intersection of two vector spaces can be empty if the two spaces are linearly independent and do not share any common vectors. In this case, there is no solution that satisfies the equations of both spaces.

5. How do you find the dimension of the intersection of two vector spaces?

To find the dimension of the intersection of two vector spaces, you can use the formula: dim(V ∩ W) = dim(V) + dim(W) - dim(V + W), where V and W are the two vector spaces, and dim(V + W) represents the dimension of the sum of the two spaces. You can also find the dimension by finding the basis for the intersection and counting the number of vectors in the basis.