Linear Algebra: Denoting an interval

Therefore, the answer to your question is no, you cannot write the interval as x,y \in [(x-v_x)^2-(y-v_y)^2=4].In summary, the conversation discusses the domain of a function defined for points inside a circle with radius 2, centered at a given point represented by a vector v. The domain is not an interval, but rather a circular disk, and the suggested interval notation is incorrect.
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi

I have a position given by the point a vector v points to. Now I have a function, which is only defined for the points on and inside a circle with radius 2 within this point. Can I write this interval as

[tex]
x,y \in [(x-v_x)^2-(y-v_y)^2=4]
[/tex]

?

Niles.

Physics news on Phys.org
Niles said:

Homework Statement

Hi

I have a position given by the point a vector v points to. Now I have a function, which is only defined for the points on and inside a circle with radius 2 within this point. Can I write this interval as

[tex]
x,y \in [(x-v_x)^2-(y-v_y)^2=4]
[/tex]

?

Niles.

The domain of definition is not an interval, which is a segment of a line. The domain is a circular disk of radius 2, centered at the point (vx, vy). You would write the domain as
[tex]D = \{(x, y) | (x - v_x)^2 + (y - v_y)^2 \leq 4 \}[/tex]

Related to Linear Algebra: Denoting an interval

What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations and their representations through vectors and matrices. It is widely used in various fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, and economics.

What does "denoting an interval" mean in linear algebra?

In linear algebra, denoting an interval refers to defining a range of values between two specified points on a line. This is commonly used in graphing linear equations to show the domain and range of the function.

What are vectors and matrices in linear algebra?

Vectors are mathematical objects that represent magnitude and direction. In linear algebra, they are used to represent a point or direction in space. Matrices, on the other hand, are rectangular arrays of numbers used to represent linear transformations or systems of linear equations.

How is linear algebra used in real-life applications?

Linear algebra has numerous real-life applications, such as image processing, data analysis, machine learning, cryptography, and computer graphics. It is also used in physics for studying motion and in engineering for designing structures and systems.

What are some common operations in linear algebra?

Some common operations in linear algebra include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division of vectors and matrices. Other operations include finding determinants and inverses of matrices, solving systems of linear equations, and performing transformations on vectors and matrices.