Line Integral - Work Done by Vector Field Along Curve

In summary: Fr(t) = 3costi + (-6sint+6cost)j - 6cos^2tk. In summary, the vector field F(x,y,z)=-yi+xj+yzk produces a curve that goes from (6,0,2) to (-6,0,-2). The particle moves along this curve and the work done on it is found by taking the dot product of F(r(t)) and r'(t). Thanks for the help!
Rockstar47

Homework Statement

A curve is formed by the intersection of y^2/9 + z^2/4 = 1 and the plane x-2y-3z = 0. The particle moving along the curve goes from (6,0,2) to (-6,0,-2). Find the work done on it by the vector field F(x,y,z) = -yi + xj + yzk.

Homework Equations

I'm going to need to find the integral of F dr which is actually going to be the integral of Fr(t) dot with r'(t) dt.

The Attempt at a Solution

I just need to set the integral up correctly, because I'm going to be letting the computer do the integration. So...

My main stumping point is coming up with the correct parameterization for r(t). In order to find a curve formed by the intersection, I used 3costj + 2sintk and then, for my i component, I noted that the plane equation gave me x = 2y + 3z. I then stuck in the y and z components I had (3cost and 2 sint, respectively) and came up with this curve: (6cost+6sint)i + 3costj + 2sintk. That's where I come to an abrupt stop...because I need r(t) going from (6,0,2) to (-6,0,-2), and I'm not quite sure how to do this. More than likely simple, but I'm stumped.

I know that once I get an r(t), I need to stick it into my function F, and then dot itself with the derivative of r(t). I don't think that will be that difficult, especially if I can simplify some (for instance, I see I could simplify the i component of my hpothetical curve to 6(cost+sint)i.

Any assistance would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Rockstar47 said:

Homework Statement

A curve is formed by the intersection of y^2/9 + z^2/4 = 1 and the plane x-2y-3z = 0. The particle moving along the curve goes from (6,0,2) to (-6,0,-2). Find the work done on it by the vector field F(x,y,z) = -yi + xj + yzk.

Homework Equations

I'm going to need to find the integral of F dr which is actually going to be the integral of Fr(t) dot with r'(t) dt.

The Attempt at a Solution

I just need to set the integral up correctly, because I'm going to be letting the computer do the integration. So...

My main stumping point is coming up with the correct parameterization for r(t). In order to find a curve formed by the intersection, I used 3costj + 2sintk and then, for my i component, I noted that the plane equation gave me x = 2y + 3z. I then stuck in the y and z components I had (3cost and 2 sint, respectively) and came up with this curve: (6cost+6sint)i + 3costj + 2sintk.
Good! That's exactly right.

That's where I come to an abrupt stop...because I need r(t) going from (6,0,2) to (-6,0,-2), and I'm not quite sure how to do this. More than likely simple, but I'm stumped.
So you need t so that x= 6 cos t+ 6 sin t= 6, y= 3 cos t= 0, and z= 2 sin t= 2. Hmm, that last equation is the same as sin t= 1 and certainly [itex]t= \pi/2[/itex] satisfies that. [itex]3 cos(\pi/2)= 3(0)= 0[/itex], and it follow from that that [itex]6 cos(\pi/2)+ 6 sin(\pi/2)= 6(0)+ 6(1)= 6[/itex]. Your integral will have lower limit [itex]\pi/2[/itex].
For the upper limit you want x= 6 cos t+ 6 sin t= -6, y= 3 cos t= 0, and z= 2 sin t= -2. I'll leave it to you to figure out what t is here. Be careful about the DIRECTION in which you go between the two points on this closed curve.

I know that once I get an r(t), I need to stick it into my function F, and then dot itself with the derivative of r(t). I don't think that will be that difficult, especially if I can simplify some (for instance, I see I could simplify the i component of my hpothetical curve to 6(cost+sint)i.

Any assistance would be much appreciated!

Thank you very much for the help! That really helps me out, and I appreciate it.

Here's what I've done...

For the lower limit, I noticed that z = sint = -1 is satisfied by 3 pie / 2. It follows then that this also satisfies y = 3cost = 0 and x = 6cost + 6sint = -6. Thus I believe my lower limit will be 3 pie / 2.

I proceeded to find the derivative of r(t) and found that r'(t) = (-6sint + 6cost)i -3costj + 2costk. I also found F(r(t)) by sticking the components of r(t) into those of F. I found that F(r(t)) is 3costi + (-6sint+6cost)j - 6cos^2tk.

My integral will take the dot product of F(r(t)) and r'(t). Lots of stuff cancels! I wound up with -18costsint + 18cos^2t + 18costsint - 18cos^2t - 12cos^3t. I'm left with -12cos^3t if I did my math correctly.

My integral is going in the clockwise direction instead of the counterclockwise, so I will place a negative in front of it. I believe my answer is thus the negative integral from 3pie/2 to pie/2 of -12cos^3t dt.

Am I on the right track here?

Related to Line Integral - Work Done by Vector Field Along Curve

What is a line integral?

A line integral is a mathematical tool used to calculate the work done by a vector field along a given path. It is a type of integral that considers both the magnitude and direction of a vector field.

What is the significance of line integrals?

Line integrals have many applications in physics and engineering. They are used to calculate work, force, and energy in various systems. They are also used to find the mass, center of mass, and moments of inertia of objects.

How do you calculate a line integral?

To calculate a line integral, first, you need to determine the parametric equations for the given path. Then, you need to find the dot product between the vector field and the tangent vector of the path. Finally, you integrate this dot product over the given limits of the path.

What is the relationship between line integrals and conservative vector fields?

If a vector field is conservative, then the line integral along any closed path will be zero. This means that the work done by the vector field is independent of the path taken. In other words, the path does not matter; only the starting and ending points are considered.

What are some real-life examples of line integrals?

Line integrals are used in many real-life situations, such as calculating the work done by a force on an object, finding the electric field around a charged wire, and determining the fluid flow along a curved pipe. They are also used in computer graphics to render three-dimensional objects.