Line Charge and Charged Cylindrical Shell (Gauss law)

In summary, an infinite line of charge with linear density λ1 = 6.2 μC/m is positioned along the axis of a thick insulating shell of inner radius a = 2.7 cm and outer radius b = 4.4 cm. The insulating shell is uniformly charged with a volume density of ρ = -552 μC/m3. The value of the x-component of the electric field at point P, located a distance 7.5 cm along the y-axis from the line of charge, is 0 N/C. The value of the y-component of the electric field at point P is still unknown. Using Gauss's law and the equations E(x) = λ/(2πε0dR
Sneakatone

Homework Statement

An infinite line of charge with linear density λ1 = 6.2 μC/m is positioned along the axis of a thick insulating shell of inner radius a = 2.7 cm and outer radius b = 4.4 cm. The insulating shell is uniformly charged with a volume density of ρ = -552 μC/m3.1) What is λ2, the linear charge density of the insulating shell?
-2.093 μC/m
2) What is Ex(P), the value of the x-component of the electric field at point P, located a distance 7.5 cm along the y-axis from the line of charge?
0 N/C

3) What is Ey(P), the value of the y-component of the electric field at point P, located a distance 7.5 cm along the y-axis from the line of charge?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

number 3 is the one I am stuck on. I used gauss law and ended with the equation E(x)=landa/(2pi (8.85*10^-12 * r) and got 503541.06 N/C but it seems to be wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sneakatone said:
number 3 is the one I am stuck on. I used gauss law and ended with the equation E(x)=landa/(2pi (8.85*1-^-12 * r) and got 503541.06 N/C but it seems to be wrong.
I get nearly double that. Please post your working.

ah! you beat me to it haruspex

I used gauss law
integral(E*dA)=q_in/epsilon
LHS E∫dA RHS ∫(from 0 to h) (λ1*dz)/(ε0)
2pi*dx*h*E= (λ1*h)/ε0
E=λ/(2*∏*ε0*dR)

Yes, those are the equations, but I asked to see the working. can't tell where you're going wrong without that. you are adding the fields for the two charges, right?

Related to Line Charge and Charged Cylindrical Shell (Gauss law)

1. What is a line charge?

A line charge is a type of electric charge that is distributed along a one-dimensional line. It can be thought of as an infinitely long charged wire.

2. How is the electric field calculated for a line charge?

The electric field for a line charge can be calculated using Gauss's law, which states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the enclosed charge divided by the permittivity of free space.

3. What is a charged cylindrical shell?

A charged cylindrical shell is a type of charged object that has a cylindrical shape, with the charge distributed evenly across its curved surface. It can be thought of as a hollow cylinder with a net charge.

4. How is the electric field calculated for a charged cylindrical shell?

The electric field inside a charged cylindrical shell is zero, while the electric field outside the shell can be calculated using Gauss's law. The electric field is directly proportional to the charge and inversely proportional to the distance from the center of the shell.

5. Can Gauss's law be applied to any type of charge distribution?

Yes, Gauss's law is a general principle that applies to all types of charge distributions, including line charges and charged cylindrical shells. It is one of the fundamental laws of electromagnetism and is used extensively in the study of electric fields and charges.