Limits of Sequences .... Bartle & Shebert, Example 3.4.3 (b)

In summary, Bartle and Sherbert's "Introduction to Real Analysis" is a good book for someone looking for a moderately thorough and rigorously proofs-based text in real analysis at about senior undergraduate level.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading "Introduction to Real Analysis" (Fourth Edition) b Robert G Bartle and Donald R Sherbert ...

I am focused on Chapter 2: Sequences and Series ...

I need help in fully understanding Example 3.4.3 (b) ...

Example 3.4.3 (b) ... reads as follows:

?temp_hash=7a5f440ac10b77e48c8efaf960de7dc1.png

In the above text from Bartle and Sherbert we read the following:

" ... ... Note that if ##z_n := c^{ \frac{1}{n} }## then ##z_n \gt 1## and ##z_{ n+1 } \lt z_n## for all ##n \in \mathbb{N}##. (Why?) ... "Can someone help me to show rigorously that ##z_n \gt 1## and ##z_{ n+1 } \lt z_n## for all ##n \in \mathbb{N}## ... ... ?Hope that someone can help ...

Peter

Attachments

• B&S - Example 3.4.3 (b) ....png
    B&S - Example 3.4.3 (b) ....png
    25.8 KB · Views: 626
Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose that ##z^n \le 1## for some ##n \in \mathbb{N}##. Then ##c = (z^n)^n \le 1^n = 1##, a contradiction.
Similarly, suppose that ##z^n \le z^{n+1}## for some ##n \in \mathbb{N}##. Then
$$
\frac{z^n}{z^{n+1}} = c^{\frac{1}{n} - \frac{1}{n+1}} = c^{\frac{1}{n(n+1)}} \le 1,
$$
so ##c \le 1^{n(n+1)} = 1##, also a contradiction.

Do you like the book?

Likes Math Amateur
Krylov said:
Suppose that ##z^n \le 1## for some ##n \in \mathbb{N}##. Then ##c = (z^n)^n \le 1^n = 1##, a contradiction.
Similarly, suppose that ##z^n \le z^{n+1}## for some ##n \in \mathbb{N}##. Then
$$
\frac{z^n}{z^{n+1}} = c^{\frac{1}{n} - \frac{1}{n+1}} = c^{\frac{1}{n(n+1)}} \le 1,
$$
so ##c \le 1^{n(n+1)} = 1##, also a contradiction.

Do you like the book?
Thanks for the help, Krylov ... just reflecting on what you have written ...

The book ... well ... I was looking for a rigorous text on one variable real analysis that covered the foundations of real analysis well and moderately thoroughly at about senior undergraduate level ... hopefully with detailed and complete proofs ... and I have found that Bartle and Sherbert meets my wishes pretty well ...

Two other books that I found met my need equally well (indeed perhaps better) are as follows:

" Basic Real Analysis" (Second Edition) ... 2014 ... by Houshang H Sohrab

and

"Real Analysis: Foundations and Functions of One Variable" (Fifth Edition) ... 2015 ... by Miklos Laczkovich and Vera T. Sos

Both books are well described on Amazon ...

Peter

Likes S.G. Janssens
Math Amateur said:
Thanks for the help, Krylov ... just reflecting on what you have written ...
Let me know if something in what I wrote is unclear.
Math Amateur said:
and I have found that Bartle and Sherbert meets my wishes pretty well ...
Yes, I know this book and I think it is very good.I was curious what you would think of it.
Math Amateur said:
Two other books that I found met my need equally well (indeed perhaps better) are as follows:
Thank you, I do not know these books but I am always interested in new (to me) titles in analysis.

Related to Limits of Sequences .... Bartle & Shebert, Example 3.4.3 (b)

1. What are limits of sequences?

Limits of sequences are the values that a sequence of numbers approaches as the index of the sequence increases. In other words, it is the value that the terms of the sequence get closer and closer to, but may never actually reach.

2. How are limits of sequences calculated?

Limits of sequences are calculated by evaluating the values of the sequence as the index approaches infinity. This can be done using various mathematical techniques, such as the squeeze theorem or the ratio and root tests.

3. What is the importance of studying limits of sequences?

Studying limits of sequences is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a sequence as it approaches infinity. This information can be used to make predictions or analyze patterns in real-world phenomena, such as population growth or financial data.

4. Can a sequence have more than one limit?

No, a sequence can only have one limit. This is because the definition of a limit requires the sequence to approach a specific value as the index approaches infinity. If a sequence has more than one limit, it would not be considered a proper sequence.

5. How do the limits of a sequence relate to its terms?

The limits of a sequence are related to its terms by the concept of convergence. If a sequence has a limit, it means that the terms of the sequence are getting closer and closer to that limit as the index increases. If a sequence does not have a limit, it is said to diverge, meaning the terms do not approach a specific value as the index increases.