Limits of Multivariable Functions

In summary: When you sub in ##\epsilon_x## and ##\epsilon_y## things might go better. But factoring shows that straight away.rational functions which are a ratio of two polynomials are continuous on R^2. That doesn't sound right. The function ##f:\mathbb R^2\to \mathbb R## such that ##f(x,y)=1/x## is a ratio of two polynomials, but is not continuous. Additional constraints are needed on the types of polynomial for the statement to be true. I suspect (but have not checked it) that a sufficient constraint might be the requirement that the lowest order of any term in the
CoolDude420

Homework Statement

Find the following limit:
502f2de48d.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My lecturer has said that rational functions which are a ratio of two polynomials are continuous on R^2. He also said that the limits of continuous functions can be computed by direct substitution.

The function here f(x,y) = x^2+y^2-x^3-xy^2/x^2+y^2 is a rational function(ratio of two polynomials) so it should be continuous on R^2, which means we can compute the limit by direct substitution. But if you try and sub in 0 for x and y, you get 0/0 which means the function is not continuous at (0,0)?

( I know I am meant to factor them and then do it but I don't understand why it isn't working like this straight up if the rules say it should)

Physics news on Phys.org
CoolDude420 said:
But if you try and sub in 0 for x and y
When you sub in ##\epsilon_x## and ##\epsilon_y ## things might go better. But factoring shows that straight away.

CoolDude420 said:
rational functions which are a ratio of two polynomials are continuous on R^2.
That doesn't sound right. The function ##f:\mathbb R^2\to \mathbb R## such that ##f(x,y)=1/x## is a ratio of two polynomials, but is not continuous. Additional constraints are needed on the types of polynomial for the statement to be true. I suspect (but have not checked it) that a sufficient constraint might be the requirement that the lowest order of any term in the numerator is no lower than the lowest order of any term in the denominator.
CoolDude420 said:
the limits of continuous functions can be computed by direct substitution.
That also sounds wrong. The function ##g:[0,\infty)\to\mathbb R## such that ##g(0)=0## and, for nonzero ##x,\ g(x)=x/\log x##, is continuous but its value at ##x=0## cannot be calculated by direct substitution. I suppose it depends on exactly what is meant by 'direct substitution' though.

Last edited:
Likes BvU
CoolDude420 said:

Homework Statement

Find the following limit:
502f2de48d.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My lecturer has said that rational functions which are a ratio of two polynomials are continuous on R^2. He also said that the limits of continuous functions can be computed by direct substitution.

The function here f(x,y) = (x^2+y^2-x^3-xy^2)/(x^2+y^2) is a rational function(ratio of two polynomials) so it should be continuous on R^2, which means we can compute the limit by direct substitution. But if you try and sub in 0 for x and y, you get 0/0 which means the function is not continuous at (0,0)?

( I know I am meant to factor them and then do it but I don't understand why it isn't working like this straight up if the rules say it should)
I suppose he could mean that any rational function is continuous over its domain. In the case of this rational function, the domain is ℝ2\(0,0).

However, you are correct about the function not being continuous at the origin, since it is not defined there. However, that appears to be a removable discontinuity, so define f(0, 0) = 1 in addition to what you have.

Related to Limits of Multivariable Functions

1. What are multivariable functions?

Multivariable functions are mathematical functions that take in multiple variables as inputs and output a single value. These variables can be any real numbers or mathematical expressions. For example, a function that calculates the area of a rectangle, given its length and width, is a multivariable function.

2. What are the limits of multivariable functions?

The limits of multivariable functions refer to the behavior of the function as the input variables approach certain values. In other words, it describes the value that the function approaches as the input variables get closer and closer to a specific point.

3. How do you find the limits of multivariable functions?

Finding the limits of multivariable functions involves a process called taking limits. This involves evaluating the function at different values of the input variables, as they approach the desired point. There are also specific rules and techniques, such as the squeeze theorem and l'Hopital's rule, that can be used to find limits of more complex multivariable functions.

4. Why are limits of multivariable functions important?

Limits of multivariable functions are important because they help us understand the behavior of these functions at specific points. They can also help us determine if a function is continuous or discontinuous at a certain point, which has practical applications in various fields such as economics, physics, and engineering.

5. Can multivariable functions have different limits at different points?

Yes, multivariable functions can have different limits at different points. This is because the behavior of the function at each point is dependent on the values of the input variables. It is possible for a function to have a limit at one point, but not at another point. In this case, we say that the function is discontinuous at the point where the limit does not exist.