Limits of convergent sequences

In summary, a convergent sequence is a sequence of numbers that approaches a single value or limit as the number of terms increases. To determine if a sequence is convergent or divergent, the limit of the sequence is taken as the number of terms approaches infinity. The limit of a convergent sequence is the number that the sequence approaches, denoted by "lim" followed by the sequence. A convergent sequence can only have one limit, and the limit is the "end goal" of the sequence.
cathy

Homework Statement

an= (n/n+2)^n

ANS: 1/e^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I was told this was convergent and I need to find the limit of the sequence. How do I do this, as I seem to keep getting that this is divergent. Isn't it divergent to infinity? Or am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, this was silly of me. I figured it out.

Good. But as a reminder, ##\frac n n +2 = 1+2 = 3## so ##a_n = 3^n##. If you meant something else you should either use Latex or use proper parentheses.

Last edited:

Related to Limits of convergent sequences

1. What is the definition of a convergent sequence?

A convergent sequence is a sequence of numbers that approaches a single value or limit as the number of terms in the sequence increases.

2. How do you determine if a sequence is convergent or divergent?

To determine if a sequence is convergent or divergent, you can take the limit of the sequence as the number of terms approaches infinity. If the limit exists and is a finite number, the sequence is convergent. If the limit does not exist or is infinite, the sequence is divergent.

3. What is the limit of a convergent sequence?

The limit of a convergent sequence is the number that the sequence approaches as the number of terms increases. It is denoted by the symbol "lim" followed by the sequence. For example, if the sequence is written as an, the limit would be written as limn→∞ an.

4. Can a convergent sequence have multiple limits?

No, a convergent sequence can only have one limit. If a sequence has multiple limits, it is considered to be divergent.

5. What is the relationship between a convergent sequence and its limit?

A convergent sequence approaches its limit as the number of terms increases. This means that the terms in the sequence become closer and closer to the limit value, but may never actually reach it. The limit is essentially the "end goal" of the sequence.