Limits involving absolute values

In summary: Therefore, when taking the limit as ##\Delta t## approaches zero, the absolute value bars can be removed and the final result is ##v_r (t) \frac{d\theta}{dt}##.
PFuser1232
This is actually a physics problem, but since my question is really about the math involved, I decided to post it in the calculus subforum.
I'm supposed to get from the term:
$$\lim_{\Delta t → 0} |\vec{v}_r (t + \Delta t)| \frac{\sin \Delta \theta}{\Delta t}$$
To:
$$v_r (t) \frac{d\theta}{dt}$$
##\theta## is a function of ##t## (so ##\Delta \theta## approaches zero as ##\Delta t## approaches zero), and ##v_r## is the scalar component (not the magnitude) of the vector ##\vec{v}_r##, in a particular direction.
Computing the limit as ##\Delta t## approaches zero:
$$\lim_{\Delta t → 0} |\vec{v}_r (t + \Delta t)| \frac{\sin \Delta \theta}{\Delta t} = |\vec{v}_r (t)| \frac{d\theta}{dt} = |v_r (t)| \frac{d\theta}{dt}$$
How do I get rid of those absolute value bars?

Physics news on Phys.org
MohammedRady97 said:
This is actually a physics problem, but since my question is really about the math involved, I decided to post it in the calculus subforum.
I'm supposed to get from the term:
$$\lim_{\Delta t → 0} |\vec{v}_r (t + \Delta t)| \frac{\sin \Delta \theta}{\Delta t}$$
To:
$$v_r (t) \frac{d\theta}{dt}$$
##\theta## is a function of ##t## (so ##\Delta \theta## approaches zero as ##\Delta t## approaches zero),
Then by this logic ##\lim_{\Delta t}\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta t} = \frac 0 0##, assuming as you did that y is a function of t.

What they're probably doing here is using the idea that, if u is close to zero, then ##\sin(u) \approx u##.
MohammedRady97 said:
and ##v_r## is the scalar component (not the magnitude) of the vector ##\vec{v}_r##, in a particular direction.
Computing the limit as ##\Delta t## approaches zero:
$$\lim_{\Delta t → 0} |\vec{v}_r (t + \Delta t)| \frac{\sin \Delta \theta}{\Delta t} = |\vec{v}_r (t)| \frac{d\theta}{dt} = |v_r (t)| \frac{d\theta}{dt}$$
How do I get rid of those absolute value bars?

Is ##v_r## the magnitude of ##\vec{v_r}##? If so ##v_r## would be a nonnegative scalar.

Mark44 said:
Then by this logic ##\lim_{\Delta t}\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta t} = \frac 0 0##, assuming as you did that y is a function of t.

What they're probably doing here is using the idea that, if u is close to zero, then ##\sin(u) \approx u##.Is ##v_r## the magnitude of ##\vec{v_r}##? If so ##v_r## would be a nonnegative scalar.

##v_r## is not the magnitude of ##\vec{v}_r##. It is the scalar component of ##\vec{v}_r## in a particular direction. It can be positive, negative, or zero.
Its absolute value is the magnitude of ##\vec{v}_r##.

Related to Limits involving absolute values

1. What are absolute values?

Absolute values represent the distance of a number from zero on a number line. It is always a positive number, regardless of the sign of the original number.

2. How do you solve limits involving absolute values?

To solve a limit involving absolute values, you can use the definition of absolute value or the properties of limits. If the limit contains an expression inside the absolute value, you can split it into two limits, one for when the expression is positive and one for when it is negative.

3. Can limits involving absolute values have multiple solutions?

Yes, limits involving absolute values can have multiple solutions because the absolute value function is not continuous at the point where the expression inside the absolute value becomes zero. Therefore, the limit can approach different values from the left and right sides of that point.

4. How do you determine if a limit involving absolute values exists?

A limit involving absolute values exists if the left and right limits approach the same value. If the left and right limits approach different values, then the limit does not exist.

5. Are there any special cases for limits involving absolute values?

Yes, there are some special cases for limits involving absolute values. One case is when the limit involves a piecewise function with absolute values. In this case, you need to consider the different intervals and the behavior of the function in each interval. Another case is when the limit is approaching infinity, in which case you can use the properties of limits to simplify the expression.