Limit of another trigonometric function

In summary, using L'Hôpital's rule, we can solve the limit $\lim_{{x}\to{\pi/4}} \frac{1-\tan(x)}{\sin(x)-\cos(x)}$ by taking the derivative of both the numerator and denominator. This results in an indeterminate form, which can be solved by rethinking the expression as $\cos\left(\frac{\pi}{4}\right)+\sin\left(\frac{\pi}{4}\right)$ and simplifying to $-\sqrt{2}$.
tmt1
\(\displaystyle \lim_{{x}\to{\pi/4}} \frac{1-\tan(x)}{\sin(x)-\cos(x)}\)

So using, L'Hospital's rule, I get:

\(\displaystyle \lim_{{x}\to{\pi/4}} \frac{\sec^2(x)}{\cos(x)+\sin(x)}\)

But $\cos(x)+\sin(x) = 0$ when $x = \dfrac{\pi}{4}$ which is an indeterminate form, so how do I go from here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
tmt said:
\(\displaystyle \lim_{{x}\to{\pi/4}} \frac{1-\tan(x)}{\sin(x)-\cos(x)}\)

So using, L'Hospital's rule, I get:

\(\displaystyle \lim_{{x}\to{\pi/4}} \frac{\sec^2(x)}{\cos(x)+\sin(x)}\)

But $\cos(x)+\sin(x) = 0$ when $x = \dfrac{\pi}{4}$ which is an indeterminate form, so how do I go from here?

Using L'Hôpital's rule, you should get:

\(\displaystyle \lim_{{x}\to{\pi/4}} \frac{-\sec^2(x)}{\cos(x)+\sin(x)}\)

Rethink:

\(\displaystyle \cos\left(\frac{\pi}{4}\right)+\sin\left(\frac{\pi}{4}\right)\)...:D

MarkFL said:
Using L'Hôpital's rule, you should get:

\(\displaystyle \lim_{{x}\to{\pi/4}} \frac{-\sec^2(x)}{\cos(x)+\sin(x)}\)

Rethink:

\(\displaystyle \cos\left(\frac{\pi}{4}\right)+\sin\left(\frac{\pi}{4}\right)\)...:D

Thanks,

I get

$-\frac{2}{\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}+\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}}$

which is equal to

$-\frac{1}{\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}}$

$-\frac{1}{\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}}$

$- \frac{2}{\sqrt{2}}$

But the answer is just $-\sqrt{2}$

\(\displaystyle -\frac{2}{\sqrt{2}}=-\frac{\sqrt{2}\cdot\cancel{\sqrt{2}}}{\cancel{\sqrt{2}}}=-\sqrt{2}\)

You had the correct answer, it could just be further simplified. :D

Related to Limit of another trigonometric function

1. What is a limit of a trigonometric function?

A limit of a trigonometric function is the value that a function approaches as the input variable approaches a certain value, typically infinity.

2. How is the limit of a trigonometric function calculated?

The limit of a trigonometric function is calculated by evaluating the function at the specified value or by using algebraic manipulation and trigonometric identities to simplify the function.

3. What are some common trigonometric functions that have limits?

Some common trigonometric functions that have limits include sine, cosine, tangent, cotangent, secant, and cosecant.

4. Can the limit of a trigonometric function be undefined?

Yes, the limit of a trigonometric function can be undefined if it does not exist or if it approaches infinity or negative infinity.

5. Why is understanding the limit of a trigonometric function important?

Understanding the limit of a trigonometric function is important in calculus and mathematical analysis as it allows us to determine the behavior of a function near a specific value and make predictions about its overall behavior.