Limit Definitions and Finding the Unknown Quick Question

In summary, the question is asking for the derivative of the function $f(x)=x^5$ at the point $x=2$. The solution involves using the definition of derivative and evaluating the limit. The answer is 80, confirming that the person is on the right track.
ardentmed
Hey guys,

Here's another quick question this time from a problem set I'm having trouble with at the moment.

Question:
08b1167bae0c33982682_11.jpg

So, for a, I computed f(x) = x^5
This is because of the numberator's right side. If 2+h is raised to the 5, this must be the function.

Moreover, a=2 because 2 is already on the right side of the numerator. 2 is added to "x" which confirms 2^5 = 32, also seen in the numerator.

Also, for 1b, I used the definition of the derivative, where
$\lim_{{h}\to{0}}$ (x+h)^5 - x^5 ) / h.

This ultimately gave me 4x^4 as the answer.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
ardentmed said:
Hey guys,

Here's another quick question this time from a problem set I'm having trouble with at the moment.

Question:So, for a, I computed f(x) = x^5
This is because of the numberator's right side. If 2+h is raised to the 5, this must be the function.

Moreover, a=2 because 2 is already on the right side of the numerator. 2 is added to "x" which confirms 2^5 = 32, also seen in the numerator.

Also, for 1b, I used the definition of the derivative, where
$\lim_{{h}\to{0}}$ (x+h)^5 - x^5 ) / h.

This ultimately gave me 4x^4 as the answer.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks in advance.

The definition of the derivative at the point $c$ is
$$\lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(c+h)-f(c)}{h}=f'(c)$$

So comparing this formula with $$\lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{(2+h)^5-32}{h}=f'(c) \Rightarrow \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{(2+h)^5-2^5}{h}=f'(c)$$ we see that $f(x)=x^5$ and $c=2$.

To find the limit by evaluating only the derivative we do the following:
$f'(x)=(x^5)'=5x^4$
$$\lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{(2+h)^5-2^5}{h}=f'(2)=5 \cdot 2^4=5 \cdot 16=80$$

Related to Limit Definitions and Finding the Unknown Quick Question

1. What is a limit definition?

A limit definition is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as its input values approach a certain point. It is often used to find the value of a function at a specific point, even if the function is undefined at that point.

2. How do you find the limit of a function?

To find the limit of a function, you can use the limit definition which involves evaluating the function at values that are increasingly closer to the desired point. You can also use algebraic techniques such as factoring or simplifying to evaluate the limit.

3. What is the difference between a one-sided limit and a two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of a function as it approaches a point from either the left or the right side. A two-sided limit, on the other hand, takes into account the behavior of a function from both sides of the point.

4. Why is it important to find limits in calculus?

Finding limits is important in calculus because it helps us understand the behavior of a function at a specific point. It also allows us to determine if a function is continuous at a certain point, which is a key concept in calculus.

5. Can limits be used to find the value of a function at an undefined point?

Yes, limits can be used to find the value of a function at an undefined point. By finding the limit of the function as it approaches the undefined point, we can determine the value of the function at that point, even if it is not defined.