Lighting and Sound Careers and Jobs?

In summary, the best way to get into a job involving light and sound design for concerts is to gain experience and skills through high school theater, community theater, or learning on the job. Being physically fit and having knowledge of basic electrical wiring are also helpful. Punctuality and reliability are crucial in this field.
kitson
I have always been interested in light and sound design (mostly at concerts) and was wondering how could i get into a job or something that will help me get involved into that field ?
i don't really want to go through my schools theature program just because i don't like it but yeah help me

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you in high school now? If so, you should check out the drama department. I know someone who does light and sound for concerts, and he got his start working behind the scenes in his high school theater.

If you aren't in high school, check out your local community theater, and see if they need volunteers.

Thanks for your reply!I am not in high school,but in college.:-p

The guy I know who does this for a living used to have a plan to go to college to study it. But once he was working in the field, he found that his coworkers who had degrees were not much better off than those who learned on the job.

It's physical work, so being fit helps. And it's really helpful to know basic electrical wiring. If you're serious about getting into the field, that would be a nice skill to have.

Oh, and you simply cannot miss work or be late - it's a firing offense in that field!

Not sure if his experience is typical, though.

There are many different career paths and job opportunities in the field of lighting and sound design. One option is to pursue a degree in technical theater, which can provide you with the skills and knowledge necessary for a career in this field. However, if you are not interested in going through a theater program, there are other options available to you.

One possibility is to seek out internships or apprenticeships with companies or organizations that specialize in lighting and sound design for concerts or other events. This can provide you with hands-on experience and allow you to network with professionals in the industry.

Another option is to take courses or workshops in lighting and sound design to develop your skills and knowledge. Many community colleges, trade schools, and online programs offer courses in this field that can help you gain the necessary skills and knowledge to pursue a career in lighting and sound design.

Additionally, networking and building relationships with professionals in the industry can also help you get involved in this field. Attend events and conferences related to lighting and sound design, and reach out to professionals for informational interviews or mentorship opportunities.

Ultimately, the key to getting involved in the field of lighting and sound design is to gain experience, develop your skills, and build a strong network of contacts. With determination and hard work, you can achieve your goal of working in this exciting and dynamic field.

Related to Lighting and Sound Careers and Jobs?

1. What education and skills are required for a career in lighting and sound?

Most lighting and sound careers require at least a bachelor's degree in a related field, such as theater, music, or audio engineering. In addition, strong technical skills, creativity, and the ability to work well under pressure are important for success in this field.

2. What types of jobs are available in the lighting and sound industry?

There are a variety of careers in lighting and sound, including lighting designer, sound engineer, stage manager, audiovisual technician, and production manager. Each role has specific responsibilities and requires different skills and experience.

3. What is the job outlook for lighting and sound careers?

The job outlook for lighting and sound careers is positive, with a projected growth rate of 8% from 2018 to 2028 according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The demand for live events, concerts, and other performances is expected to drive the need for skilled professionals in this industry.

4. How can I gain experience in the lighting and sound industry?

One way to gain experience in this field is to intern or volunteer at theaters, event production companies, or audiovisual companies. This will allow you to learn from experienced professionals and build a portfolio of work. You can also take courses or workshops to improve your technical skills.

5. What can I expect in terms of salary for a career in lighting and sound?

Salaries in the lighting and sound industry vary depending on the specific job, experience level, and location. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for sound engineering technicians was $53,390 in May 2019. However, highly skilled and experienced professionals can earn significantly more.