Light speed and cosmological constant

In summary, E=mc2 is not related to the cosmological constant, which is part of Einstein's General Relativity theory. The constant describes the rest mass-energy of a particle and the energy released by nuclear reactions. The neutrino experiment at CERN was found to be an error and neutrinos are not able to travel faster than the speed of light. The square in E=mc2 is a direct consequence of Einstein's postulates and there is no specific reason for it.
Stu21
E=mc2 gives us the cosmological constant, which later was found to be the maximum speed at which light can travel. i also understand that when accelerating particles such as they do at CERN, it requires more and more energy the faster u want to go, the mass/speed issue. so i think i understand why photons can move at the speed of light while the rest of matter(for the most part) can't reach those speeds, photons have no mass while other particles do. I've also come across several articles claiming that they have, also at CERN, found neutrinos that may be moving faster than light can travel. my questions are; if both photons and neutrinos have no mass then that's not why photons can't reach the speeds of neutrinos. could it have something to do with matter interaction? also, now I am no mathmatician, but if the c in e=mc2 was found to be the speed of light, and we know the equation holds true since its been put to the test countless times. why is it squared. what's the square doing to the speed of light?

Science news on Phys.org
Stu21 said:
E=mc2 gives us the cosmological constant, which later was found to be the maximum speed at which light can travel.

This is incorrect. That equation doesn't give such a thing. The speed of light being a constant is a POSTULATE that has been verified via experiments.

I've also come across several articles claiming that they have, also at CERN, found neutrinos that may be moving faster than light can travel.

This is out-of-date. The OPERA experiment has been corrected by the recent results (even by them), and neutrinos have been found NOT to travel faster than light.

my questions are; if both photons and neutrinos have no mass then that's not why photons can't reach the speeds of neutrinos.

This is incorrect. Neutrinos have mass, and this has been shown experimentally in many different measurements of the neutrino mixing angles.

Zz.

Stu21 said:
E=mc2 gives us the cosmological constant,

No, Einstein's field equation gives us the cosmological constant. The cosmological constant is a negative pressure vacuum energy that accelerates the expansion of the universe. I doesn't have anything to do with special relativity.
which later was found to be the maximum speed at which light can travel.

Light doesn't have a maximum speed, as it only has one speed, c. The constant speed of light was implied by electromagnetism, and was taken as a postulate by Einstein for special relativity.
I've also come across several articles claiming that they have, also at CERN, found neutrinos that may be moving faster than light can travel.

This was an error caused by a loose cable. They move slightly slower than light.
if both photons and neutrinos have no mass then that's not why photons can't reach the speeds of neutrinos.

Neutrinos move slightly less than the speed of light. They have a very small mass.
what's the square doing to the speed of light?

It shows up during the derivation. Since E = pc for photons, and p = mc, then it follows that E = mc2.

I think you are confused about a number of things. E=mc2 is not an equation related to the cosmological constant, usually denoted [itex]\Lambda[/itex].

The famous E=mc2 is a part of Einstein's Special Relativity theory, which only applies where you can ignore gravity. It is the "rest mass-energy" of a particle of mass m - the amount of energy you can realize by annihilating the particle. It accurately describes the energy released by nuclear reactions, where some of the mass of the radioactive material is converted into energy.

The cosmological constant is a factor in Einstein's General Relativity theory. Einstein introduced it (with little justification, if I understand aright) when someone realized that the equations of General Relativity implied the existence of a Big Bang. Adding in the cosmological constant and setting it to the right value allows you to avoid a Big Bang. Einstein later described the venture as the largest mistake of his life. It was subsequently revived because the maths isn't wrong, just the justification. It describes the way in which the expansion of the universe is accelerating just a little bit - ascribed to Dark Energy by some.

The neutrino experiment at CERN was found to be an error - a loose fiber optic cable was delaying one of the timing measurements by just enough that the neutrinos appeared to be exceeding the speed of light. Had it not been an error, that would have been revolutionary because, as you correctly state, only massless particles can travel at the speed of light, and neutrinos are not massless. As others have noted, by the way, the speed of light is the only speed at which massless particles may travel, not the maximum. Edit: arguably, I suppose, that makes it both a maximum and a minimum speed, but that's just confusing terminology.

Regarding the square in E=mc2, that's just the way it is. The formula can be derived from Einstein's original postulates (the speed of light is a constant, and physics is the same everywhere, loosely), as I understand it, so is a direct consequence of those claims. That's really all there is in the way of a "why".

Does that help?

I can provide some insights into the concepts of light speed and the cosmological constant.

Firstly, the equation E=mc2 is not directly related to the cosmological constant. The equation describes the relationship between energy (E), mass (m), and the speed of light (c). It is a fundamental equation in physics that explains the equivalence of mass and energy. The cosmological constant, on the other hand, is a constant term in Einstein's field equations of general relativity that describes the expansion of the universe.

The maximum speed at which light can travel is indeed the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. This is a fundamental constant in physics and is denoted by the letter c. It is not derived from the equation E=mc2, but it is rather a constant that is used in the equation.

You are correct in your understanding that photons, which are particles of light, have no mass. This is why they can travel at the speed of light. The rest of matter, on the other hand, has mass and therefore cannot reach the speed of light. The reason for this is that as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases, and it requires more and more energy to accelerate it further. This is described by Einstein's theory of relativity.

The discovery of neutrinos that may be moving faster than light at CERN is still a topic of debate and further research is needed to confirm these findings. If it is indeed found that neutrinos can travel faster than light, it would challenge our current understanding of physics and would require further investigation.

The square in the equation E=mc2 has a mathematical significance. It is a mathematical operation that is used to convert mass (m) into energy (E). Without the square, the equation would not hold true. It is not related to the speed of light in any way.

In conclusion, the concepts of light speed and the cosmological constant are both fundamental in physics, but they are not directly related. The speed of light is a constant that is used in the equation E=mc2, which describes the relationship between energy and mass. The cosmological constant is a term in Einstein's field equations that describes the expansion of the universe. The square in the equation has a mathematical significance and is not related to the speed of light. Further research and experimentation are needed to fully understand the nature of light speed and the cosmological constant

Related to Light speed and cosmological constant

What is light speed and why is it important in cosmology?

Light speed, also known as the speed of light, is the fastest speed at which energy can travel in the universe. It is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. In cosmology, light speed is important because it is the fundamental limit to the speed at which any information can travel, making it a crucial factor in our understanding of the universe.

How does light speed relate to the cosmological constant?

The cosmological constant, also known as dark energy, is a theoretical constant that describes the expansion of the universe. Light speed is related to the cosmological constant because it affects the rate at which the universe is expanding. As light speed is constant, the cosmological constant plays a key role in determining the overall expansion rate of the universe.

Can light speed be exceeded?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. This is because as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and it requires more and more energy to continue accelerating. While there have been some controversial claims of particles traveling faster than light, they have yet to be confirmed and are not widely accepted by the scientific community.

How is light speed measured and what units are used?

Light speed is typically measured using a unit called the "meter per second" (m/s). This unit is used to measure the distance an object travels in a certain amount of time. In the case of light speed, it is measured as the distance of 299,792,458 meters per second. This can also be converted into other common units such as kilometers per second or miles per second.

Is the speed of light constant in all mediums?

No, the speed of light is not constant in all mediums. It depends on the medium's refractive index, which is a measure of how much the speed of light is reduced when passing through the medium. For example, light travels slower in water than in air, and even slower in glass. However, the speed of light in a vacuum is constant and serves as a universal standard for measuring the speed of light in different mediums.