Lift, Drag, Normal, and Axial Forces on a Flat Plate

In summary, the conversation discusses the angle theta between the Lift and Normal Force in an infinite thin flat plate at an angle of attack of 10 degrees in a super sonic flow. The equations L=Ncos(a)-Asin(a) and D=Nsin(a)+Acos(a) are provided, and the solution involves finding a constant directly related to the geometry. The individual attempted to solve the problem using the equations and obtained the answer L=Ncos(a)-Dtan(a)sin(a), but is unsure if it is correct. Help is requested.
twmggc

Homework Statement

Consider an infinite thin flat plate with a 1m chord at an angle of attack of 10 degrees in a super sonic flow. Describe the angle theta between the Lift and Normal Force, is it the same as the Drag and Axial?

Homework Equations

L=Ncos(a)-Asin(a)
D=Nsin(a)+Acos(a)

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought the theta would be alpha (angle of attack) but since we have a flat plate I know that something is going to be different. I emailed my prof and he mentioned that it is going to be some constant directly related to geometry.

Physics news on Phys.org
He said that I will need to use the equations I provided in order to solve the problem. I got Ncos(a)=Dsin(a)+Acos(a) and then A=-Dtan(a). Then I substituted A into the first equation and got L=Ncos(a)-Dtan(a)sin(a) which I think is the answer? I'm not sure if this is correct though, any help would be appreciated.

Related to Lift, Drag, Normal, and Axial Forces on a Flat Plate

What is lift force?

Lift force is the force that acts perpendicular to the direction of motion of a fluid around an object. In the context of a flat plate, it is the force that acts upwards on the plate due to the difference in pressure between the upper and lower surfaces.

What is drag force?

Drag force is the force that acts parallel to the direction of motion of a fluid around an object. In the context of a flat plate, it is the force that acts in the opposite direction to the movement of the plate due to friction and pressure differences.

What is normal force?

Normal force is the force that acts perpendicularly to the surface of an object. In the context of a flat plate, it is the force that acts upwards on the plate due to the weight of the fluid above it.

What is axial force?

Axial force is the force that acts parallel to the surface of an object. In the context of a flat plate, it is the force that acts in the direction of the fluid flow due to pressure differences.

How do these forces affect the motion of a flat plate?

These forces play a crucial role in determining the lift and drag of a flat plate. The lift force allows the plate to rise and stay aloft, while the drag force acts against the motion of the plate. The normal force and axial force also contribute to the overall force balance on the plate, affecting its stability and motion in a fluid. Understanding and controlling these forces is essential in designing efficient and aerodynamic structures.