Lie-algebraic elements as derivations.

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of matrix representatives of Lie-algebras as derivations. The Lie group \mathfrak{SU}(N) is considered, with its Lie-algebra being the set of skew-Hermitian matrices \mathfrak{su}(N). The element X is chosen from \mathfrak{su}(N) and viewed as a tangent vector to the group identity. X is then used to act on a function f: \mathfrak{SU}(N) \to \mathbb R, resulting in a real value Xf. The conversation also touches on working in the standard matrix representation of \mathfrak{su}(N) and how to compute Xf in this
Kreizhn
Hey,

So I'm trying to figure out how the matrix representatives of Lie-algebras can act as derivations. In particular, let [itex] N \in \mathbb N [/itex] and consider the Lie group of special unitary matrices [itex] \mathfrak{SU}(N)[/itex]. Now we know that the Lie-algebra is the set of skew-Hermitian matrices [itex] \mathfrak{su}(N) [/itex], so let us choose an element [itex] X \in \mathfrak{su}(N) [/itex].

Since we can identify the Lie-algebra with the tangent space at the group identity [itex] T_{\text{id}} \mathfrak{SU}(N) \cong \mathfrak{su}(N) [/itex] we can view X as a tangent vector to identity. Furthermore, given a function [itex] f: \mathfrak{SU}(N) \to \mathbb R [/itex] we know that X acts on f to give a real value; namely, [itex] Xf \in \mathbb R[/itex].

Now let's say we're working in the standard matrix representation of [itex] \mathfrak{su}(N) [/itex], and fix the elements X and f. How can we compute Xf? I'm not certain what to do here and would appreciate any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nothing? Okay, let me say something else that will maybe be answerable instead.

Let M be an [itex] n^2 [/itex] dimensional matrix Lie group, and specify a local coordinate system [itex] (x^{ij})_{i,j=1}^n [/itex]. Let I be the identity element, and take [itex] A \in T_I M \cong \text{Lie}(M) [/itex]. If we write

[tex] A = \sum_{i,j} a^{ij} \left.\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{ij}} \right|_I [/tex]

do the [itex] a^{ij} [/itex] correspond to the matrix elements in this representation?

Related to Lie-algebraic elements as derivations.

1. What are Lie-algebraic elements?

Lie-algebraic elements are elements of a Lie algebra, which is a mathematical structure used to study the properties of groups and their actions. In simple terms, a Lie algebra is a vector space equipped with a binary operation called the Lie bracket, which measures the extent to which two elements of the vector space do not commute.

2. How are Lie-algebraic elements related to derivations?

Lie-algebraic elements can be seen as a special type of derivation, which is a mathematical function that maps a vector space to itself. In particular, Lie-algebraic elements satisfy the Leibniz rule, which is a fundamental property of derivations that describes how they behave under composition of functions.

3. What is the significance of Lie-algebraic elements in mathematics?

Lie-algebraic elements play a crucial role in many areas of mathematics, including differential geometry, Lie groups, and theoretical physics. They are used to study the symmetries and transformations of mathematical objects, and have applications in fields such as robotics, computer vision, and robotics.

4. How are Lie-algebraic elements defined and represented?

Lie-algebraic elements are typically defined in terms of their action on a Lie algebra, which is described by the Lie bracket operation. They can also be represented using matrices or other mathematical objects, depending on the specific context and application.

5. What are some examples of Lie-algebraic elements?

Examples of Lie-algebraic elements include rotation matrices, translation matrices, and skew-symmetric matrices. In physics, the angular momentum and spin operators are also examples of Lie-algebraic elements. Other examples can be found in the study of Lie groups, which are mathematical structures that incorporate the concept of symmetry.