Lie Algebra Structure of 3-Sphere: Left Invariant Vector Fields

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for understanding the Lie Algebra structure of the three sphere, specifically in terms of the left invariant vector fields tangent to or perpendicular to the fibers of the Hopf fibration. It is mentioned that the Lie group structure on S^3 is that of SU(2), and there is a 2:1 covering from SU(2) to SO(3) that can help obtain the Hopf fibration. The possibility of using such a basis to determine a Riemannian connection on S^3 and the corresponding Gauss curvature is also mentioned.
wofsy
I know I should be able to look this up but am having trouble this morning.

I would like to know the Lie Algebra structure of the three sphere. In particular I'd like to express it in terms of the left invariant vector fields that are either tangent to the fibers of the Hopf fibration or perpendicular to it. By this I mean express the algebra in terms if an ortho-normal left invariant basis one of whose elements is tangent to the fiber circles of the Hopf fibration.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The Lie group structure on S^3 is that of SU(2), so the Lie algebra of S^3 is su(2).

I don't know if this will help you get the explicit construction you're after, but there is a 2:1 covering SU(2) -> SO(3) from which one can obtain the Hopf fibration.

thanks that's very helpful

I think it won't be hard to break this out in terms of the Hopf fibration. In fact I think this is what they do when describing electron spin in quantum mechanics.

An aside question that I have is - can such a basis be viewed as determining a Riemannian connection on S3 when viewed as the unit circle bundle of a 2-plane bundle over the 2 sphere? If so, then the Lie algebra structure should tell me the Gauss curvature.

Thanks again.

Yes, I believe this would be a special case of the construction of the Berger metrics on S^3.

Related to Lie Algebra Structure of 3-Sphere: Left Invariant Vector Fields

1. What is a Lie algebra structure?

A Lie algebra structure is a mathematical structure that describes the algebraic properties of a set of vector fields on a manifold. It involves the concept of a Lie bracket, which measures the failure of two vector fields to commute.

2. What is the 3-sphere?

The 3-sphere, also known as the 3-dimensional sphere or the unit sphere in 4-dimensional Euclidean space, is a mathematical object that consists of all points in 4-dimensional space that are a fixed distance from the origin. It can also be thought of as the set of all unit vectors in 4-dimensional space.

3. How are Lie algebra structures related to the 3-sphere?

The Lie algebra structure of the 3-sphere refers to the set of vector fields that are left invariant under the action of a Lie group that is isomorphic to the 3-sphere. This allows us to study the algebraic properties of the 3-sphere by considering its associated Lie algebra.

4. What are left invariant vector fields?

Left invariant vector fields are vector fields on a manifold that are invariant under the left translation action of a Lie group. This means that when the manifold is transformed by a left translation, the vector field remains unchanged.

5. Why is the study of Lie algebra structure of 3-sphere important?

The study of the Lie algebra structure of the 3-sphere has important applications in theoretical physics, particularly in the fields of quantum mechanics and relativity. It also has connections to other areas of mathematics, such as differential geometry and topology.