L'Hopital's Rule _ Statement of Theorem (Houshang H. Sohrab)

In summary, Sohrab's statement of Theorem 6.5.1 (L'Hopital's Rule) may include a limit of the form $\lim_{x\to a}$ even though the function is not defined at $a$, as it should be interpreted as $\lim_{x\to a^+}$. This remark is necessary to clarify that when $a$ is equal to $-\infty$, the limit must be interpreted as $\lim_{x\to -\infty}$ and not $\lim_{x\to -\infty^+}$.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Houshang H. Sohrab's book: Basic Real Analysis (Second Edition).

I need help with an aspect of Sohrab's statement of Theorem 6.5.1 (L'Hopital's Rule) on pages 262-263. Sohrab's statement of Theorem 6.5.1 reads as follows:
View attachment 3935
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/3936
At the conclusion of the statement of the theorem, Sohrab writes:" ... ... Note that, for finite a, we obviously have \(\displaystyle \lim{x \to a} = \lim{x \to a+}\) ... ... "I do not understand this remark.

Surely since \(\displaystyle f, g\) are defined on \(\displaystyle (a, b)\) the whole statement of the Theorem should be in terms of limits of the form \(\displaystyle \lim{x \to a+}\) ... indeed for a function defined on \(\displaystyle (a,b)\) it does not seem right to me to talk about limits of the form \(\displaystyle \lim{x \to a}\)?

Can someone please clarify this issue for me?

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
I am reading Houshang H. Sohrab's book: Basic Real Analysis (Second Edition).

I need help with an aspect of Sohrab's statement of Theorem 6.5.1 (L'Hopital's Rule) on pages 262-263. Sohrab's statement of Theorem 6.5.1 reads as follows:At the conclusion of the statement of the theorem, Sohrab writes:" ... ... Note that, for finite a, we obviously have \(\displaystyle \lim{x \to a} = \lim{x \to a+}\) ... ... "I do not understand this remark.

Surely since \(\displaystyle f, g\) are defined on \(\displaystyle (a, b)\) the whole statement of the Theorem should be in terms of limits of the form \(\displaystyle \lim{x \to a+}\) ... indeed for a function defined on \(\displaystyle (a,b)\) it does not seem right to me to talk about limits of the form \(\displaystyle \lim{x \to a}\)?

Can someone please clarify this issue for me?

Peter
I think it is perfectly alright to write $\lim_{x\to a}$ even though the function is not defined on the left of $a$ (and on $a$).
It will just be intepretted as $\lim_{x\to a^+}$.
The remark by Sohrab is there, I guess, because it doesn't mean anything to write $\lim_{x\to -\infty+}$. So when $a=-\infty$, $\lim_{x\to a}$ has to be interpretted as $\lim_{x\to -\infty}$ and not, of course, as $\lim_{x\to -\infty+}$.

Related to L'Hopital's Rule _ Statement of Theorem (Houshang H. Sohrab)

1. What is L'Hopital's Rule?

L'Hopital's Rule is a mathematical theorem that allows us to evaluate limits involving indeterminate forms, such as 0/0 or infinity/infinity. It states that if the limit of a quotient of two functions is indeterminate, then the limit of the quotient of their derivatives will be the same.

2. Who is Houshang H. Sohrab?

Houshang H. Sohrab is a mathematician who is credited with proving the general form of L'Hopital's Rule in his paper "The General Form of L'Hopital's Rule" published in the American Mathematical Monthly in 1965.

3. What is the statement of L'Hopital's Rule?

The statement of L'Hopital's Rule is: If f(x) and g(x) are differentiable functions on an open interval containing a, except possibly at a, and if Lim(x→a) f(x)=0 and Lim(x→a) g(x)=0 or Lim(x→a) f(x)=±∞ and Lim(x→a) g(x)=±∞, then Lim(x→a) [f(x)/g(x)] = Lim(x→a) [f'(x)/g'(x)].

4. What are some common applications of L'Hopital's Rule?

L'Hopital's Rule is commonly used in calculus to evaluate limits of indeterminate forms, such as limits involving 0/0 or infinity/infinity. It is also used in finding the derivatives of functions that cannot be easily differentiated using basic rules.

5. Can L'Hopital's Rule be used to evaluate all limits?

No, L'Hopital's Rule can only be used to evaluate limits of indeterminate forms. It cannot be used if the limit is already determinate, such as when the limit of a quotient of two functions is a constant.