Length of sinusoid on a sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the length between two points on a sphere. The original statement suggests that it is an easy problem, but the conversation then delves into the use of calculus and the metric tensor to find the length of a path on the sphere, specifically a sinusoid. It is noted that this problem involves non-elementary elliptic functions and it is unclear how to approach finding the length of the path. The conversation also touches on the idea of using this problem as a training for working in general relativity.
Vrbic

Homework Statement

Originally the statement:
Find a length of two points on sphere. It was easy.
##\int \sqrt{g_{\phi\phi}}d\phi##
I hope you agree :-) But I have idea, how to find a length of path which is NOT a part of arc (circle). For example sinusoid. Is possible to find length of sinusoid on the sphere and how?

Homework Equations

##ds^2=g_{rr}dr^2+g_{\theta\theta}d\theta^2+g_{\phi\phi}d\phi^2##

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt hit the snag very early :-)
A took ##\theta=\pi/2+\sin{\phi}##
##d\theta=\cos{\phi}d\phi##
##ds^2=0+r^2d\theta^2+r^2\sin^2{\theta}d\phi^2##
##ds=r\sqrt{\cos^2{\phi}+\sin^2{(\pi/2+\sin{\phi})}}d\phi##
And now I don't know. I'm not sure if my procedure is so naive, and it exists better, or such problem doesn't have an analytical solution.
Please advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't agree until you tell me what does those symbols mean.

What does length mean here ? arc length or something else ?

##r,\theta,\phi## are spherical coordinates and ##\theta=\pi/2## is equator. ##g_{ij}## is metric tensor in these coordinates. By length I mean arc length (I hope it is same number when you take a ruler and measure sinusoid on a ball).

Thread moved.
@Vrbic, please post questions involving integrals and tensors in the Calculus & Beyond section. These concepts are well beyond the Precalculus level.

Likes Vrbic
@Vrbic Do you really require calculus here ? I think this question is perfectly feasible without calculus.

Buffu said:
@Vrbic Do you really require calculus here ? I think this question is perfectly feasible without calculus.
Yes, I would like calculations (maybe both:-) ). I believe it is a training for work in general relativity. No?

Buffu said:
Calculus is definitely needed. Even the problem of the length of a sinusoid in a plane involves the (non-elementary) elliptic function.

Ray Vickson said:
Calculus is definitely needed. Even the problem of the length of a sinusoid in a plane involves the (non-elementary) elliptic function.

Not that problem. I was talking about,

Vrbic said:
Find a length of two points on sphere. It was easy.

Ok, elliptic function are needed for final solution, it seems not trivial. But how to get to them?
1) Is all right my procedure for finding length between two points on a sphere?
2) How to find length of path between two points connected by sinusoid (or sinusoid along all equator?)

Related to Length of sinusoid on a sphere

1. What is the length of a sinusoid on a sphere?

The length of a sinusoid on a sphere is determined by the radius of the sphere and the amplitude of the sinusoidal wave. It can be calculated using the formula L = 2πRsin(α), where R is the radius of the sphere and α is the amplitude of the sinusoid.

2. How is the length of a sinusoid on a sphere affected by the radius of the sphere?

The length of a sinusoid on a sphere is directly proportional to the radius of the sphere. This means that as the radius increases, the length of the sinusoid also increases, and vice versa.

3. Does the frequency of the sinusoid affect its length on a sphere?

No, the frequency of the sinusoid does not affect its length on a sphere. The length is only dependent on the radius and amplitude of the wave.

4. Can the length of a sinusoid on a sphere be negative?

No, the length of a sinusoid on a sphere cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, representing the distance traveled by the wave.

5. How does the length of a sinusoid on a sphere compare to its length on a flat surface?

The length of a sinusoid on a sphere is longer than its length on a flat surface. This is because the curvature of the sphere increases the distance that the wave travels compared to a flat surface.