Length Contraction: Solving for L

In summary: Basically what I was doing was trying to find the x coordinates of the point where the angle between the x-axis and the line connecting S and S' is the smallest.
Herricane

Homework Statement

A rod of length L_0 moves with a speed v along the horizontal direction. The rod makes an angle of θ_0 with respect to the x'-axis.

a. Show that the length of the rod as measured by a stationary observer is given by L = L_o [1 - (v^2 / c^2) cos^2 (θ_o) ]^(.5)

Homework Equations

L = L_p/ gamma

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a few questions:

Is L proper L_o (the S frame?)
When I am trying to find the length of the rod as measured by a stationary observer do I refer to the graph to the right?

Horizontal length is all I need to worry about, correct?

L = L_o / gamma

x' = L cos θ_o

x' = x ( 1 - v^2/c^2 )^(-1/2)

L cos θ_o = x ( 1 - v^2/c^2 )^(-1/2)

L = x / [ (1 - v^2/c^2 )^(1/2) cos θ_o ] where x = L_o

L = L_o / [ (1 - v^2/c^2 )^(1/2) cos θ_o ]

Am I on the right track? I can't seem to make it look like:
L = L_o [1 - (v^2 / c^2) cos^2 (θ_o) ]^(.5)

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 476
Physics news on Phys.org
Wait, huh, is the picture you attached one given by the problem or something you made? The picture is really different from how I read the problem.

The way you're approaching the problem seems fine. But if you're going to find the x coordinates, you need to find two x coordinates because length is x2-x1. Looks like you're doing a strange mixing of length contraction and x coordinates. Either approach is okay, but you'll probably confuse yourself going between them (confused me at least).

Yes I think that is my problem. I don't know how to draw the diagram. Can you explain me what you understood? I have read it several times and I just don't get it

So you have an S' that moving relative to the S frame; their x-axis is collinear. In S' we have a proper length L_o, and the length makes an angle with respect to the x' axis. So the part that will be contracted is L_o*cosØ'. L_o*sinØ' will stay the same in both frames. S even sees a different angle than S' does.

Thank you, I figured out the problem. I was making it way too complicated.

Related to Length Contraction: Solving for L

1. What is length contraction?

Length contraction is a phenomenon in special relativity where an object's length appears to be shorter when it is moving at high speeds relative to an observer.

2. How does length contraction occur?

Length contraction occurs because space and time are relative and dependent on the observer's frame of reference. As an object moves at high speeds, its length in the direction of motion appears to contract due to the effects of time dilation.

3. How is length contraction calculated?

The formula for length contraction is L = L0 * √(1 - (v^2/c^2)), where L0 is the object's length at rest, v is its velocity, and c is the speed of light. This formula takes into account the effects of time dilation on the object's length.

4. What is the significance of length contraction in special relativity?

Length contraction is a crucial aspect of special relativity as it demonstrates the effect of time dilation on an object's physical properties. It also helps to reconcile the discrepancies between the laws of classical physics and the observed behavior of objects at high speeds.

5. How does length contraction affect measurements and observations?

Length contraction can significantly impact measurements and observations of objects moving at high speeds. It may cause objects to appear shorter than they actually are, which can lead to discrepancies in experimental results and observations.