Length contraction and accelerating frames

In summary: Thanks for your help. In summary, the Lorentz contraction inside a accelerating frame should be different depending on the location of the frame of reference.
yoron
We all know the definition of a rope between two identical accelerating spaceships and how that rope will break assuming they both accelerate with the identical same velocity (as defined from a observer on Earth for example). And it makes sense, thinking of stress. But how do I define a Lorentz contraction inside a accelerating frame? It should be possible to do, as I think of it, as there should be a difference between the front and and the end of that spaceship accelerating (let's say uniformly).

Or am I bicycling in the blue younder here?
==

Maybe it's easier to see if not assuming a uniform constant acceleration, but to me they both should have it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "Lorentz contraction inside a accelerating frame", but perhaps what you are looking for are Rindler coordinates, which are the "rest coordinates" of a "Born rigid" rocket undergoing constant proper acceleration. If (t,x) is the Minkowski coordinate system of an inertial observer (I'll ignore y and z), and (T,X) is the Rindler coordinate system in which the rocket is at rest, the coordinates are linked by[tex]
\begin{align}
x + \frac{c^2}{a} &= \left( X + \frac{c^2}{a} \right) \cosh \frac{aT}{c} \\
ct &= \left( X + \frac{c^2}{a} \right) \sinh \frac{aT}{c}
\end{align}
[/tex]Here a is the proper acceleration of the part of the spaceship located at X=0.

Does that help?

Thanks, the problem for me is how to think of it intuitively. By 'inside a accelerated frame' I meant that I started to think about it as if I split the spaceship into 'frames of reference', each one 'still' as in a instant, and wondered if they would notice a Lorentz contraction relative each other. In a uniformly moving spaceship it won't be noticeable as there is no 'shear stress', if I'm using the proper nomenclature there? But inside that accelerated frame? Shouldn't there be difference. If I assume that to all 'clocks' differing there is a reciprocal Lorentz contraction and if I think of it as taking 'snapshots', frozen in motion.

And then I started to think of spinning a round plate close to light :) Wondering if that would help me see it. But there the 'cracks' come from them (like the tracks on a cd, sort of) not having a 'same speed' relative each other, if you wander from the spinning edge inwards towards the centre, well, as I assume. But it's bothering me as if it is right (which I think it is) then if I assume a extremely high acceleration, shouldn't that spaceship also be able to 'crack', as every 'acceleratory instant' will 'push' those 'frames of reference' a little more relative each other?

On the other hand, the clocks go fastest at the front of the ship right, but the 'push' comes from the aft, not the front. So even thought the clocks goes faster at the front the clocks aft should get first updated?

Awhhhh :)

Related to Length contraction and accelerating frames

1. What is length contraction?

Length contraction refers to the phenomenon in which an object's length appears to decrease when observed from a different frame of reference that is moving at a high velocity relative to the object. This occurs due to the effects of special relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion.

2. How does length contraction occur?

Length contraction occurs because according to special relativity, the speed of light is constant for all observers regardless of their relative velocities. This means that as an object approaches the speed of light, the time it takes for light to travel from one end of the object to the other will appear shorter to an observer in a different frame of reference, resulting in the object appearing to be shorter in length.

3. What is the formula for calculating length contraction?

The formula for calculating length contraction is L = L0√(1 - v2/c2), where L is the contracted length, L0 is the rest length of the object, v is the relative velocity between the frames of reference, and c is the speed of light.

4. Does length contraction only occur in objects moving at the speed of light?

No, length contraction can occur for any object moving at a high velocity relative to a different frame of reference. However, the effects of length contraction become more noticeable as an object approaches the speed of light, as the time dilation and length contraction effects become more significant at higher velocities.

5. Does length contraction have any practical applications?

Yes, length contraction has practical applications in fields such as particle physics and engineering. For example, particle accelerators use length contraction to increase the energy of particles by decreasing their rest length. In engineering, the concept of length contraction is used in the design of high-speed vehicles to account for the effects of special relativity and prevent any structural issues that may arise due to length contraction.