Legendre Polynomials: Pattern Analysis & Integration

In summary, the coefficients \(c_n\) for the function \(f(x)\) can be obtained using the Legendre polynomials and the recursive formula for their integrals. The pattern for \(c_n\) is that it is equal to 0 for even values of \(n\) and for odd values, it is given by \(\frac{2n + 1}{n + 1}\frac{(-1)^{(n - 1)/2}}{2^{n - 1}}\frac{(n - 1)!}{\left[\left(\frac{n - 1}{2}\right)!\right]^2}\). This can be obtained by noticing a geometric pattern in the terms and using the Rodrigues
Dustinsfl
Consider
\[
f(x) = \begin{cases}
1, & 0\leq x\leq 1\\
-1, & -1\leq x\leq 0
\end{cases}
\]
Then
\[
c_n = \frac{2n + 1}{2}\int_{0}^1\mathcal{P}_n(x)dx -
\frac{2n + 1}{2}\int_{-1}^0\mathcal{P}_n(x)dx
\]
where \(\mathcal{P}_n(x)\) is the Legendre Polynomial of order n.
Our first few \(c_n\) are \(0, 3/2, 0, -7/8, 0, 11/16, 0, -75/128, 0, ...\).
Is there a pattern to this? I know \(n\) even is 0 but can I obtain a nice solution?

By this I mean, if I had a Fourier series, I could get a solution of the form
\[
A_n = \begin{cases}
0, & \text{if n is even}\\
\frac{4}{n\pi}, & \text{if n is odd}
\end{cases}
\]

If I can obtain such a solution, how? Is it by simply noticing a geometric pattern in the terms or can I integrate \(\mathcal{P}_n(x)\)?

Does the Rodrigues's formula need to be used in the integral?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
For reference - sorry! - but I think you should define Legendre polynimials... :eek:

@ Dreamweaver: Here's everything you want to know about Legendre polynomials, and more.

I'm kinda curious about the series solution myself.

-Dan

dwsmith said:
Consider
\[
f(x) = \begin{cases}
1, & 0\leq x\leq 1\\
-1, & -1\leq x\leq 0
\end{cases}
\]
Then
\[
c_n = \frac{2n + 1}{2}\int_{0}^1\mathcal{P}_n(x)dx -
\frac{2n + 1}{2}\int_{-1}^0\mathcal{P}_n(x)dx
\]
where \(\mathcal{P}_n(x)\) is the Legendre Polynomial of order n.
Our first few \(c_n\) are \(0, 3/2, 0, -7/8, 0, 11/16, 0, -75/128, 0, ...\).
Is there a pattern to this? I know \(n\) even is 0 but can I obtain a nice solution?

By this I mean, if I had a Fourier series, I could get a solution of the form
\[
A_n = \begin{cases}
0, & \text{if n is even}\\
\frac{4}{n\pi}, & \text{if n is odd}
\end{cases}
\]

If I can obtain such a solution, how? Is it by simply noticing a geometric pattern in the terms or can I integrate \(\mathcal{P}_n(x)\)?

Does the Rodrigues's formula need to be used in the integral?

\begin{align}
c_n &= \frac{2n + 1}{2}\int_{0}^1\mathcal{P}_n(x)dx -
\frac{2n + 1}{2}\int_{-1}^0\mathcal{P}_n(x)dx\\
&= \frac{2n + 1}{2}\left[\int_{0}^1\mathcal{P}_n(x)dx +
\int_{0}^1\mathcal{P}_n(-x)dx\right]
\end{align}
Since \(\mathcal{P}_{\ell}(-x) = (-1)^{\ell}\mathcal{P}_{\ell}(x)\), we now have
\[
c_n = \frac{2n + 1}{2}\int_{0}^1\mathcal{P}_n(x)(1 - (-1)^{\ell})dx\\
\]
If \(\ell\) is even, then the integral is 0, but if \(\ell\) is odd, we gain a factor of 2.
\[
c_n =
\begin{cases}
(2n + 1)\int_{0}^1\mathcal{P}_n(x), & \text{\(\ell\) odd}\\
0, & \text{if \(\ell\) is even}
\end{cases}
\]
We can now use the recursive relation
\[
\mathcal{P}_{\ell}(x) = \frac{1}{2\ell + 1}\left(\frac{d\mathcal{P}_{\ell + 1}(x)}{dx} - \frac{\mathcal{P}_{\ell - 1}(x)}{dx}\right).
\]
Then
\begin{align}
I_{\ell} &= \frac{1}{2\ell + 1}\int_0^1\left(\frac{d\mathcal{P}_{\ell + 1}(x)}{dx} - \frac{\mathcal{P}_{\ell - 1}(x)}{dx}\right)dx\\
&= \frac{1}{2\ell + 1}\left[\mathcal{P}_{\ell + 1}(1) - \mathcal{P}_{\ell + 1}(0) - \mathcal{P}_{\ell - 1}(1) + \mathcal{P}_{\ell - 1}(0)\right]\\
&= \frac{1}{2\ell + 1}\left[\mathcal{P}_{\ell - 1}(0) - \mathcal{P}_{\ell + 1}(0)\right]\quad\text{for }\ell\geq 1
\end{align}
We have that Rodrigues's formula is
\[
\mathcal{P}_{\ell}(x) = \frac{1}{2^{\ell}\ell !}\frac{d^{\ell}}{dx^{\ell}}(x^2 - 1)^{\ell}
\]
so
\[
\mathcal{P}_{\ell}(0) = \left.\frac{1}{2^{\ell}\ell !}\frac{d^{\ell}}{dx^{\ell}} \sum_{n=0}^{\ell}\binom{\ell}{n}(x^2)^n(-1)^{\ell - n}\right|_{x=0}
\]
Since we need even terms, we now have
\[
\mathcal{P}_{\ell}(0) = \frac{1}{2^{\ell}\ell !}\binom{\ell}{\frac{\ell}{2}}
\ell!(-1)^{\ell/2}
\]
Then
\begin{align}
I_{\ell} &= \frac{1}{2\ell + 1}\left[\frac{1}{2^{\ell - 1}}\binom{\ell - 1}{\frac{\ell - 1}{2}}(-1)^{(\ell - 1)/2} - \frac{1}{2^{\ell + 1}}\binom{\ell + 1}{\frac{\ell + 1}{2}}(-1)^{(\ell + 1)/2}\right]\\
&= \frac{(-1)^{(\ell - 1)/2}}{2^{\ell - 1}}\frac{(\ell - 1)!}{\left(\frac{\ell - 1}{2}\right)!\left(\frac{\ell - 1}{2}\right)!}\frac{1}{\ell + 1}
\end{align}
Thus,
\[
c_n =
\begin{cases}
\frac{2n + 1}{n + 1}\frac{(-1)^{(n - 1)/2}}{2^{n - 1}}\frac{(n - 1)!}{\left[\left(\frac{n - 1}{2}\right)!\right]^2}, & \text{for } n \text{ odd}\\
0, & \text{for } n \text{ even}
\end{cases}
\]

Last edited:

I would first commend the author for their curiosity and keen observation of patterns in the Legendre Polynomials and their coefficients.

To answer the question, yes, there is a pattern to the coefficients \(c_n\) as shown in the first few terms provided. It can be observed that for even values of \(n\), the coefficient is 0, and for odd values of \(n\), the coefficient follows a repeating pattern of increasing and decreasing values. This is due to the behavior of the Legendre Polynomials, where the even order polynomials are symmetric about the y-axis and the odd order polynomials are anti-symmetric. Therefore, when integrating over symmetric intervals, the resulting coefficient will be 0, and when integrating over anti-symmetric intervals, the resulting coefficient will follow a pattern.

To obtain a solution in the form of the Fourier series provided, one can use the orthogonality property of the Legendre Polynomials. This property states that the inner product of two different Legendre Polynomials is 0, and the inner product of a Legendre Polynomial with itself is a constant value. Therefore, by integrating the Legendre Polynomial over the appropriate interval, we can obtain the constant value that corresponds to the coefficient of that particular order polynomial.

In this case, the integration can be done without the use of Rodrigues's formula, as the Legendre Polynomials of order n can be expressed in terms of lower order polynomials, which can then be integrated using the orthogonality property. However, if a more general form of the Legendre Polynomials is required, then Rodrigues's formula can be used to obtain the coefficients.

In summary, the pattern in the coefficients of Legendre Polynomials can be explained by the behavior of the polynomials themselves and can be obtained by using the orthogonality property and integration. The use of Rodrigues's formula may or may not be necessary depending on the specific form of the Legendre Polynomials needed.

Related to Legendre Polynomials: Pattern Analysis & Integration

What are Legendre polynomials?

Legendre polynomials are a set of orthogonal polynomials that are used to solve various problems in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They were first introduced by the French mathematician Adrien-Marie Legendre in the late 18th century.

How are Legendre polynomials used in pattern analysis?

Legendre polynomials are commonly used in pattern analysis to approximate complex data patterns. By fitting Legendre polynomials to a set of data points, we can identify underlying patterns and make predictions about future data points.

What is the importance of Legendre polynomials in integration?

Legendre polynomials are crucial in integration as they can be used to decompose a complex function into a series of simpler polynomials. This makes integration easier and more efficient, especially for functions with higher degrees.

How are Legendre polynomials related to the Fourier series?

Legendre polynomials are a special case of the more general Fourier series, which are used to represent periodic functions as a sum of sine and cosine functions. In fact, Legendre polynomials can be expressed as a Fourier series with a specific set of coefficients.

What are some real-life applications of Legendre polynomials?

Legendre polynomials have numerous applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and signal processing. They are used in quantum mechanics to describe the wave functions of particles, in geodesy to model the shape of the Earth, and in image processing to reconstruct images from incomplete data.