Legendre Polynomial (anti)symmetry proof

In summary, the equation for P_{n}(-x) is (-1)^{n}P_{n}(x) - (-1)^{n}r^{n}, where r is the derivative of x with respect to -1.
Tetrinity

Homework Statement

Let [itex]P_{n}(x)[/itex] denote the Legendre polynomial of degree n, n = 0, 1, 2, ... . Using the formula for the generating function for the sequence of Legendre polynomials, show that:

[itex]P_{n}(-x) = (-1)^{n}P_{n}(x)[/itex]

for any x [itex]\in[/itex] [-1, 1], n = 0, 1, 2, ... .

Homework Equations

Generating function for the sequence of Legendre polynomials:

[itex]\sum P_{n}(x)r^{n} = (1 - 2rx + r^{2})^{-\frac{1}{2}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess I don't really know where to begin with this. I tried differentiating both sides of the generating function with respect to r to obtain:

[itex]\sum nP_{n}(x)r^{n-1} = (x - r)\sum P_{n}(x)r^{n}[/itex]

but I don't see how this might move closer to the desired result. I imagine differentiating with respect to x would lead to similar difficulties.

I then tried just directly substituting -x into the generating function, giving

[itex](1 + 2rx + r^{2})^{-\frac{1}{2}}[/itex]

as a generating function for [itex]P_{n}(-x)[/itex], but again I don't really see where this might lead me.

Perhaps there's a general method I'm missing; I'm still very new to the concept of Legendre polynomials and generating functions in general. My attempts at scouring the Internet for a proof of this specific identity have turned up a sole reference to a textbook I have no access to. I'm not really looking for a complete proof to be given to me on a plate, but a nudge in the right direction would certainly be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try substituting both -x for x and -r for r into the generating function expression. What does that tell you?

Ahh, figures it'd be something as simple as that.

[itex]\sum P_{n}(-x)(-r)^{n} = (1 + 2rx + r^{2})^{\frac{1}{2}} = \sum P_{n}(x)r^{n}[/itex]

[itex]\Rightarrow \sum P_{n}(x)r^{n} = \sum P_{n}(-x)(-1)^{n}r^{n}[/itex]

and then by applying the identity theorem for power series we get [itex]P_{n}(x) = (-1)^{n}P_{n}(x)[/itex] as required.

Thanks for your help. :)

Related to Legendre Polynomial (anti)symmetry proof

1. What is the Legendre Polynomial (anti)symmetry proof?

The Legendre Polynomial (anti)symmetry proof is a mathematical demonstration that shows the relationship between Legendre polynomials and their corresponding anti-symmetric or symmetric solutions. It is used to prove the orthogonality of these polynomials, which is a fundamental property in many areas of science and engineering.

2. Why is the (anti)symmetry proof important?

The (anti)symmetry proof is important because it provides a rigorous mathematical basis for the use of Legendre polynomials in various applications. It also helps to understand the underlying properties of these polynomials, allowing for more accurate computations and predictions.

3. What is the difference between Legendre Polynomial symmetry and anti-symmetry?

Legendre Polynomial symmetry refers to the property of a polynomial being unchanged when reflected across the y-axis. Anti-symmetry, on the other hand, refers to the property of a polynomial being unchanged when reflected across both the x-axis and the y-axis. In other words, anti-symmetric polynomials have a point of symmetry at the origin.

4. How is the (anti)symmetry proof derived?

The (anti)symmetry proof is derived using mathematical techniques such as integration and algebraic manipulation. It involves starting with the definition of Legendre polynomials and applying various mathematical operations to show that they satisfy the conditions for (anti)symmetry.

5. What are the practical applications of the Legendre Polynomial (anti)symmetry proof?

The (anti)symmetry proof has various practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used in the solution of differential equations, Fourier analysis, and in the computation of various physical quantities such as electric fields, heat distribution, and fluid flow. It also has applications in signal processing, image reconstruction, and data fitting.