Legendre differential equation and reduction of order

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a general solution for a given Legendre's differential equation using reduction of order. It is mentioned that 'x' is a solution and another solution is needed. The attempt at solving the characteristic equation is shown and guidance is given to solve the equation using an integrating factor.
CassieG

Homework Statement

Question is to find a general solution, using reduction of order to:

(1-x^2)y" - 2xy' +2y = 0

(Legendre's differential equation for n=1)

Information is given that the Legendre polynomials for the relevant n are solutions, and for n=1 this means 'x' is a solution.

Homework Equations

See above.

The Attempt at a Solution

'x' is one solution, I need another to form the general solution. I tried solving the characteristic equation in terms of x, as shown at this link. http://www.bravus.com/Legendre.jpg

I've included all the information from the question, any guidance in the right direction would be very welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You just need one solution to reduce the order so let y_1=x and y=y_1 v in your equation written as:

[tex]y''+py'+qy=0[/tex]

do all that substituting and letting v'=w you should get:

[tex]y_1 w'+(2y_1^'+p y_1)w=0[/tex]

which you can solve via an integrating factor.

That makes a lot of sense. Just working through it now, but I think it was realising I *had* reduced the order and had a first order ODE and then solving with the integrating factor was the point I was missing.

Thanks very much.

Related to Legendre differential equation and reduction of order

1. What is the Legendre differential equation?

The Legendre differential equation is a second-order ordinary differential equation that is used to solve problems in physics and engineering. It is named after the French mathematician, Adrien-Marie Legendre, who first studied it in the 18th century. The equation takes the form y'' - (n(n+1))y = 0, where n is a constant.

2. What is the reduction of order method?

The reduction of order method is a technique used to solve second-order linear differential equations by reducing them to first-order equations. This method involves substituting a new variable for one of the dependent variables in the original equation, which reduces the order of the equation by one.

3. How is the reduction of order method applied to the Legendre differential equation?

The Legendre differential equation can be solved using the reduction of order method by substituting a new variable, u, for one of the dependent variables, y. This reduces the equation to a first-order equation, which can be solved by using standard techniques. The solution for u can then be used to find the solution for y.

4. What are the applications of the Legendre differential equation?

The Legendre differential equation has various applications in physics and engineering, such as in solving problems related to heat conduction, quantum mechanics, and electrostatics. It is also used in the study of spherical harmonics, which have applications in computer graphics and signal processing.

5. Are there any real-life examples of the Legendre differential equation?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of the Legendre differential equation. One example is the study of heat conduction in a spherical object, where the temperature distribution can be described by the equation. Another example is the study of atomic orbitals in quantum mechanics, where the equation is used to calculate the probability density of an electron around a nucleus. Additionally, the equation can be used to model the electric potential of a spherical charge distribution in electrostatics.