Left & Right Multiplication Maps on Algebras .... Bresar, Lemma 1.25 .... ....

In summary, Peter is reading Matej Bresar's book "Introduction to Noncommutative Algebra" and is currently focused on Chapter 1: Finite Dimensional Division Algebras. He needs help with the proof of Lemma 1.25, which states that the dimension of the space M(A) containing all linear combinations of operators L_u and R_u is at least d^2. Peter's questions are about Bresar's reasoning for this conclusion and how it relates to the equality M(A) = End_F(A). GJA explains that the dimension of End_F(A) over F is d^2 and since M(A) is a subspace of End_F(A), its dimension must be less than or equal to d
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Matej Bresar's book, "Introduction to Noncommutative Algebra" and am currently focussed on Chapter 1: Finite Dimensional Division Algebras ... ...

I need help with the proof of Lemma 1.25 ...

Lemma 1.25 reads as follows:View attachment 6261
View attachment 6262
My questions on the proof of Lemma 1.25 are as follows:Question 1

In the above text from Bresar we read the following:

" ... ... Therefore \(\displaystyle [ M(A) \ : \ F ] \gt d^2 = [ \text{ End}_F (A) \ : \ F ]\) ... ... "Can someone please explain exactly why Bresar is concluding that \(\displaystyle [ M(A) \ : \ F ] \gt d^2\) ... ... ?Question 2

" ... ... Therefore \(\displaystyle [ M(A) \ : \ F ] \gt d^2 = [ \text{ End}_F (A) \ : \ F ]\)

and so \(\displaystyle M(A) = [ \text{ End}_F (A) \ : \ F ]\). ... ... "Can someone please explain exactly why \(\displaystyle [ M(A) \ : \ F ] \gt d^2 = [ \text{ End}_F (A) \ : \ F ]\) ... ...

... implies that ... \(\displaystyle M(A) = [ \text{ End}_F (A) \ : \ F ]\) ...
Hope someone can help ...

Peter
===========================================================*** NOTE ***

So that readers of the above post will be able to understand the context and notation of the post ... I am providing Bresar's first two pages on Multiplication Algebras ... ... as follows:View attachment 6263
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/6264

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Peter,

A little short on time at the moment, but hopefully I can push you in the right direction.

Peter said:
Question 1

" ... ... Therefore \(\displaystyle [ M(A) \ : \ F ] \gt d^2 = [ \text{ End}_F (A) \ : \ F ]\) ... ... "Can someone please explain exactly why Bresar is concluding that \(\displaystyle [ M(A) \ : \ F ] \gt d^2\) ... ... ?

Because we can conclude from Lemma 1.24 that the operators $L_{u_{i}}R_{u_{j}}$ are linearly independent and there are a total of $d^{2}$ of such operators. Thus the space $M(A)$ that contains all linear combinations of such operators must have at least this dimension (in general if a linear space contains $k$ linearly independent vectors, then its dimension must be greater than or equal to $k$). Note: You wrote a strict inequality in your original post when it should really include equality.

Peter said:
Question 2

" ... ... Therefore \(\displaystyle [ M(A) \ : \ F ] \gt d^2 = [ \text{ End}_F (A) \ : \ F ]\)

and so \(\displaystyle M(A) = [ \text{ End}_F (A) \ : \ F ]\). ... ... "Can someone please explain exactly why \(\displaystyle [ M(A) \ : \ F ] \gt d^2 = [ \text{ End}_F (A) \ : \ F ]\) ... ...

... implies that ... \(\displaystyle M(A) = [ \text{ End}_F (A) \ : \ F ]\) ...

We know the dimension of $\text{End}_{F}(A)$ over $F$ is $d^{2}$. Since $M(A)$ is a linear subspace of $\text{End}_{F}(A)$, its dimension is at most $d^{2}$. Thus we have $d^{2}\leq M(A)\leq d^{2}$.

I hope that helps. Let me know if anything needs clarification.

GJA said:
Hi Peter,

A little short on time at the moment, but hopefully I can push you in the right direction.
Because we can conclude from Lemma 1.24 that the operators $L_{u_{i}}R_{u_{j}}$ are linearly independent and there are a total of $d^{2}$ of such operators. Thus the space $M(A)$ that contains all linear combinations of such operators must have at least this dimension (in general if a linear space contains $k$ linearly independent vectors, then its dimension must be greater than or equal to $k$). Note: You wrote a strict inequality in your original post when it should really include equality.
We know the dimension of $\text{End}_{F}(A)$ over $F$ is $d^{2}$. Since $M(A)$ is a linear subspace of $\text{End}_{F}(A)$, its dimension is at most $d^{2}$. Thus we have $d^{2}\leq M(A)\leq d^{2}$.

I hope that helps. Let me know if anything needs clarification.
Thanks for the help GJA ... really appreciate it ...

Just reflecting on what you have said ...

Peter

Related to Left & Right Multiplication Maps on Algebras .... Bresar, Lemma 1.25 .... ....

1. What is the significance of Lemma 1.25 in Bresar's work on left and right multiplication maps on algebras?

Lemma 1.25 in Bresar's work is significant because it proves the existence of left and right multiplication maps on algebras, which are important tools in the study of algebraic structures. These maps can provide insights into the properties and behavior of algebras, and their use is widespread in various branches of mathematics.

2. How does Lemma 1.25 relate to the concept of left and right multiplication maps?

Lemma 1.25 establishes the existence of left and right multiplication maps on algebras, which are linear transformations that map elements of the algebra to other elements of the same algebra. The lemma provides a formal proof for the existence of these maps, which are essential for understanding the structure and behavior of algebras.

3. Can you explain the proof of Lemma 1.25 in Bresar's work?

The proof of Lemma 1.25 in Bresar's work is based on the properties of algebras and linear transformations. It starts by defining the left and right multiplication maps and then uses the properties of algebras to show that these maps are indeed well-defined and linear. The proof also relies on the properties of left and right modules, which are closely related to algebras.

4. What are the practical applications of Lemma 1.25 in mathematics?

Lemma 1.25 has practical applications in various areas of mathematics, including group theory, ring theory, and representation theory. It can be used to study the properties of algebras and their modules, as well as provide insights into the behavior of algebraic structures.

5. How does Lemma 1.25 contribute to the understanding of algebras?

Lemma 1.25 is an important result in the study of algebras, as it provides a formal proof for the existence of left and right multiplication maps, which are crucial in understanding the structure and properties of algebras. The lemma also helps in establishing connections between algebras and other mathematical concepts, such as modules and linear transformations.