Left and Right Hand limit of a Piece wise function?

In summary, the left hand limit and right hand limit for x-->2 for the function f(x) is 2x+1 if 0 ≤ x ≤ 2, 7-x if 2 ≤ x ≤ 4, and x if 4 ≤ x ≤ 6. The Attempt at a Solution gives an equation for the left hand limit and right hand limit, but it does not work if x is not near 2. Finally, English is not my native language, so I couldn't understand the irrelevant thing.
kashan123999

Homework Statement

Find the left hand limit and right hand limit for x--> 2 for the function

f(x) = 2x+1 if 0 ≤ x ≤ 2
7-x if 2 ≤ x ≤ 4
x if 4 ≤ x ≤ 6

Homework Equations

Lim f(x) for x->2 = ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly don't know where to start please help me,ok we can answer the question by plugging 2 in first rule and finding LEFT hand limit,and plugging 2 in the 2nd rule and finding right hand limit...but i just couldn't find the logic behind this all method and also why didn't we use the third rule? please explain in layman terms as english is not my native language

Physics news on Phys.org
kashan123999 said:

Homework Statement

Find the left hand limit and right hand limit for x--> 2 for the function

f(x) = 2x+1 if 0 ≤ x ≤ 2
7-x if 2 ≤ x ≤ 4
x if 4 ≤ x ≤ 6

Homework Equations

Lim f(x) for x->2 = ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly don't know where to start please help me,ok we can answer the question by plugging 2 in first rule and finding LEFT hand limit,and plugging 2 in the 2nd rule and finding right hand limit...but i just couldn't find the logic behind this all method and also why didn't we use the third rule? please explain in layman terms as english is not my native language

To answer your last question first, you don't use the third rule because you are interested in values of ##x## near ##2## and the third rule is irrelevant to that.

You don't evaluate limits by plugging in the value unless you know the functions you are using are continuous. But in your case they are both polynomials. Assuming you have the theorem for polynomials ##p(x)## that$$
\lim_{x \rightarrow a}p(x) = p(a)$$then, for example, your left hand limit is$$
\lim_{x\rightarrow 2^-}2x+1 =2\cdot 2 + 1=5$$Similarly for the right hand limit. If they come out equal, that would give the two sided limit, otherwise it doesn't exist.

LCKurtz said:
To answer your last question first, you don't use the third rule because you are interested in values of ##x## near ##2## and the third rule is irrelevant to that.

You don't evaluate limits by plugging in the value unless you know the functions you are using are continuous. But in your case they are both polynomials. Assuming you have the theorem for polynomials ##p(x)## that$$
\lim_{x \rightarrow a}p(x) = p(a)$$then, for example, your left hand limit is$$
\lim_{x\rightarrow 2^-}2x+1 =2\cdot 2 + 1=5$$Similarly for the right hand limit. If they come out equal, that would give the two sided limit, otherwise it doesn't exist.

sorry i couldn't understand that "irrelevant thing"...

kashan123999 said:
sorry i couldn't understand that "irrelevant thing"...

"Irrelevant" means it has nothing to do with your problem. Ignore the third rule since it is for ##x>4##, not ##x## near ##2##.

ahan Thank you very much sir

Related to Left and Right Hand limit of a Piece wise function?

What is the definition of the left and right hand limit of a piecewise function?

The left and right hand limits of a piecewise function refer to the behavior of the function as the input approaches a specific value from the left and right sides, respectively. It is written as limx→a^- f(x) for the left hand limit and limx→a^+ f(x) for the right hand limit.

How do you calculate the left and right hand limits of a piecewise function?

To calculate the left and right hand limits of a piecewise function, you first need to identify the expression or rule that defines the function for each interval. Then, you can simply plug in the given value for the input and evaluate the function to find the limit.

What is the difference between the left and right hand limits of a piecewise function?

The main difference between the left and right hand limits of a piecewise function is the direction from which the input is approaching the specified value. The left hand limit considers values approaching from the left side, while the right hand limit considers values approaching from the right side.

Can the left and right hand limits of a piecewise function be different?

Yes, the left and right hand limits of a piecewise function can be different. This can occur when the function has a "jump" or discontinuity at the specified value, meaning that the function has different values for the left and right sides of the input.

Why are the left and right hand limits important in calculus?

The left and right hand limits are important in calculus because they help us understand the behavior of a function at a specific point. They can also be used to determine if a function is continuous at a given point, which is a key concept in calculus. Additionally, the left and right hand limits are essential in finding derivatives and integrals of piecewise functions.