Least positive rest in division?

In summary: We can also express this as 7^35 (mod 5) \equiv 2^35 (mod 5). In summary, to find the least positive rest in division of 7^35 with 5, we can use the properties of modular arithmetic to find the remainder. Since 7 (mod 5) is equivalent to 2 (mod 5), then 735 (mod 5) is equivalent to 235 (mod 5). This can also be written as 7^35 (mod 5) is equivalent to 2^35 (mod 5).
jdnhldn

Homework Statement

Find the least positive rest in division of 7^35 with 5

Homework Equations

(7^35)/5

The Attempt at a Solution

7^35=378818692265664781682717625943 => 378818692265664781682717625943/5... Uhhhhh this is not the way I am supposed to take right? :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
What does the phrase "least positive rest" mean? I did a brief google search on it and didn't find anything helpful.

By "least positive rest" I think the OP means "remainder." Presumably properties of modular arithmetic should be used to find this remainder.

For example, 7 [itex]\equiv[/itex] 2 (mod 5), so 735 [itex]\equiv[/itex] 235 (mod 5). Does any of this look familiar?

jgens said:
What does the phrase "least positive rest" mean? I did a brief google search on it and didn't find anything helpful.
I am sorry that I got you confused by the translation. Yes, as Mark44 mentioned, it means remainder.

Mark44 said:
By "least positive rest" I think the OP means "remainder." Presumably properties of modular arithmetic should be used to find this remainder.

For example, 7 [itex]\equiv[/itex] 2 (mod 5), so 735 [itex]\equiv[/itex] 235 (mod 5). Does any of this look familiar?
This is exactly what I am looking for and it looks familiar :)

But I don't get how 7^35=2^35 (mod 5) Please explain?

jdnhldn said:
I am sorry that I got you confused by the translation. Yes, as Mark44 mentioned, it means remainder.

This is exactly what I am looking for and it looks familiar :)

But I don't get how 7^35=2^35 (mod 5) Please explain?

As I already explained, because 7 (mod 5) [itex]\equiv[/itex] 2 (mod 5), then 735 (mod 5)[itex]\equiv[/itex] 235 (mod 5).

Related to Least positive rest in division?

1. What is least positive rest in division?

Least positive rest in division refers to the smallest number that is left over after dividing two numbers. It is also known as the remainder.

2. How is least positive rest in division calculated?

The least positive rest in division is calculated by dividing the dividend by the divisor and taking the remainder. For example, when dividing 10 by 3, the quotient is 3 with a remainder of 1, making 1 the least positive rest.

3. Why is least positive rest in division important?

Least positive rest in division is important because it helps us understand the relationship between two numbers and can be used to solve real-world problems. It also helps us determine if a number is evenly divisible by another number.

4. Can the least positive rest in division be negative?

No, the least positive rest in division cannot be negative. The term "positive" in its name implies that it is a non-negative number.

5. How is least positive rest in division used in everyday life?

Least positive rest in division can be used in everyday life to split items into equal groups, calculate change, and find the number of items in a certain number of packages. It is also used in more complex mathematical concepts such as fractions and modular arithmetic.