Learning Quantum Mechanics with Dirac: Understanding Ket Vectors

In summary, the conversation is about someone trying to learn the mathematics of quantum mechanics using textbooks. They mention struggling with understanding how ket vectors work and ask for clarification on their representation. Another person recommends starting with Ballentine's book before moving on to more advanced texts. They also suggest working on foundational math skills before tackling Ballentine's text. The conversation ends with gratitude for the advice and encouragement to take time and fully understand the concepts.
Einstein's Cat
I'm attempting to learn the mathematics of quantum mechanics using textbooks such as "The Principles of Quantum Mechanics" by Dirac. I'm uncertain however of how ket vectors work! Say |A> + |B> = |C>, then what does |C> please represent?

Physics news on Phys.org
Einstein's Cat said:
I'm attempting to learn the mathematics of quantum mechanics using textbooks such as "The Principles of Quantum Mechanics" by Dirac. I'm uncertain however of how ket vectors work! Say |A> + |B> = |C>, then what does |C> please represent?

If you are not familiar with the mathematical concept of a "vector space", you'll want to check that out.

Likes vanhees71 and bhobba
Einstein's Cat said:
I'm attempting to learn the mathematics of quantum mechanics using textbooks such as "The Principles of Quantum Mechanics" by Dirac.
Dirac is not easy to learn from. Try Ballentine.

I'm uncertain however of how ket vectors work! Say |A> + |B> = |C>, then what does |C> please represent?
If |A> and |B> denote possible states of a system, then the sum denotes another possible state of that system.

Likes vanhees71, DrClaude and bhobba
strangerep said:
Dirac is not easy to learn from. Try Ballentine.

I totally concur.

I actually learned it from Dirac and Von Neumann. I wish I didn't. It would be much better to start with Ballentine then read those two seminal texts.

I get the feeling though your math may not be up to Ballentine. In that case I suggest you work your way up in the following order:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0465062903/?tag=pfamazon01-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0071765638/?tag=pfamazon01-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/146157675X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Then you can tackle Ballentine.

It may seem like a lot of work but remember its not a race. Take your time and cement your understanding.

Thanks
Bill

Likes Tolklein, vanhees71 and DrClaude
Thank you all very much for your help

Related to Learning Quantum Mechanics with Dirac: Understanding Ket Vectors

What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It describes the principles that govern the behavior and interactions of these particles, such as electrons and photons.

Who is Paul Dirac?

Paul Dirac was a British theoretical physicist who made significant contributions to the development of quantum mechanics. He is best known for his work on the Dirac equation, which describes the behavior of particles with spin.

What are ket vectors?

Ket vectors, also known as Dirac notation, are a mathematical representation used in quantum mechanics to describe the state of a quantum system. They are represented by vertical lines and are used to represent both the state of a system and the operators that act on it.

How can I understand ket vectors?

Understanding ket vectors requires knowledge of linear algebra and complex numbers. It is important to have a strong foundation in these mathematical concepts before attempting to learn quantum mechanics with Dirac notation. It may also be helpful to seek out resources such as textbooks or online courses to aid in understanding.

What are some applications of quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics has many practical applications, such as in the development of new technologies like transistors and lasers. It is also used in fields such as chemistry, materials science, and cryptography. Additionally, quantum mechanics is essential for understanding and developing technologies related to quantum computing and quantum information processing.